Miami RedHawks sink to 0-3 with loss to Notre Dame

The RedHawks kept the score 14-3 going into the second half

The Miami University RedHawks fell 28-3 to the University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish in South Bend, Indiana. The loss continues Miami’s three-game losing streak. 

The RedHawks received to start the first quarter. They completed two short passes, but a 14-yard fumble by sixth-year quarterback Brett Gabbert recovered by senior running back Keyon Mozee brought Miami to second-and-24. 

The RedHawks were unable to convert on third, forcing senior punter Alec Bevelhimer to punt on fourth-and-12. However, Notre Dame returner Jordan Faison fumbled Bevelhimer’s punt, giving the Redhawks another chance on offense at the opposing 26-yard line.

Despite this stroke of luck, the scoreboard remained untouched after Gabbert threw an interception to junior defensive lineman Junior Tuihalamaka and gave Notre Dame the ball at its own 5-yard line. 

Notre Dame punted, and the RedHawks’ next offensive drive saw action from several players. Mozee, Jordan Brunson and Dylan Downing rushed for 22 yards total. Gabbert’s pass to senior running back Kevin Davis resulted in a failed fourth-and-6 conversion. 

Jeter was brought out after Notre Dame failed to convert on third-and-8. However, the snap was fumbled. Jeter couldn’t get the ball out, and Miami’s offense took the field at its 33-yard line. 

Gabbert scrambled for 14-yards on second-and-8. Davis ended the first quarter with a 20-yard gain of his own to bring Miami to the opposing 49. The score remained tied at 0-0.

Mozee rushed for 11 yards on second-and-10 after Gabbert threw an incomplete pass to junior wide receiver Reggie Virgil. Redshirt senior wide receiver Kam Perry earned his first reception of the season with a 13-yard pass to put Miami within 10 yards of the endzone. 

On third-and-12, Virgil couldn’t grab a pass in the endzone. Redshirt junior kicker Dom Dzioban was brought out for a 26-yard field goal, giving the RedHawks a 3-0 lead (the first time Miami held a lead against an opponent this season). 

Photo by Jessica Monahan | The Miami Student
Dom Dzioban went 1-2 in field goals in Saturday's loss against Notre Dame

Redshirt first-year placekicker Kellan McLaughlin got the ball deep into opposing territory, but a trick-play handoff from graduate student receiver Jayden Harrison to sophomore running back Jeremiyah Love got the Fighting Irish to the 42-yard line. However, an illegal block in the back by Tuihalamaka brought the ball back to the 6-yard line. 

A big tackle from defensive lineman Brian Ugwu on Love brought Notre Dame to third-and-10. Graduate student running back Devyn Ford gained 3 yards before Salopek brought him down, forcing the Fighting Irish to punt. 

The RedHawks punted again after a sack on Gabbert and a failed third-and-18 conversion. 

A pass interference call on redshirt first-year cornerback Luke Evans brought the Fighting Irish to the opposing 47-yard line. A face mask penalty on Ugwu brought them another 15 yards closer to the endzone. 

Jayden Thomas caught a 5-yard pass to bring Notre Dame 8 yards from a touchdown. Quarterback Riley Leonard found the endzone off a rush. Jeter’s kick brought the Fighting Irish up 7-3 with three-and-a-half minutes left in the first half. 

Miami punted after Gabbert’s deep pass to Davis was incomplete on third-and-4. 

With two minutes in the half, the Fighting Irish began working down the field from their own 19-yard line. On third-and-2, Leonard rushed for 21 yards. A 14-yard pass to Kris Mitchell brought them into enemy territory. 

On the next play, Leonard threw a 38-yard pass to Collins to bring Notre Dame into the endzone with one minute before half. Jeter’s extra point brought the Fighting Irish up by two scores, 14-3. 

Miami was brought to fourth-and-11, but an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was called on Adon Shuler after he threw the ball at the Miami sideline. The RedHawks received a fresh set of downs with 46 seconds on the clock, but they didn’t accomplish anything before the half ended. 

Despite being down 14-3, head coach Chuck Martin thought the RedHawks played well in the first half, especially in the run game.

“They’re a physical group,” Martin said. “I thought we ran it probably better than I thought we would. Our guys worked hard all week. We weren’t behind the chains.”

Gabbert threw for 119 yards and had two interceptions

Leonard rushed for 43 yards at the start of the third quarter, but a fumble by redshirt first-year Mychal Yharbrough gave the RedHawks the ball. Four plays later, Bevelhimer punted to the opposing 26-yard line. 

A sack on Leonard by Ugwu brought up third-and-14 for Notre Dame. A pass to Collins resulted in fourth-and-9 and a punt. 

Gabbert threw his second interception of the game to sophomore cornerback Christian Gray on the RedHawks’ next drive. 

An incomplete deep pass from to Mitchell still resulted in a 15-yard gain after Evans was called for pass interference. Leonard threw for a 12-yard reception to Harrison, and the Fighting Irish followed that up with a 15-yard rushing touchdown from Love.

A RedHawks punt gave the Fighting Irish the ball less than two minutes in the third quarter. They burned the clock with several rushes and scrambles to end the third quarter leading 21-3 over Miami. 

Notre Dame punted at the start of the fourth quarter. The RedHawks drove down 71 yards in 5:45, including a pass interference call on junior cornerback Jaden Mickey to bring them to the opposing 19-yard line. 

Sophomore linebacker Drayk Bowen sacked Gabbert for a loss of 12 yards. Dzioban came out for a 49-yard field goal, but first-year defensive lineman Bryce Young blocked the kick, holding the score to 21-3. 

After rushing for 143 yards so far, Leonard earned his second rushing touchdown of the game with a 50-yard run. Jeter’s third extra point brought Notre Dame up 28-3. 

Redshirt junior Henry Hesson replaced Gabbert for the final five minutes. The teams traded possessions, and the Fighting Irish ran the clock to 0:00. 

In the post-game press conference, Martin expressed frustration with how the team failed to capitalize on the first half. 

“We did what we wanted to do,” Martin said. “We had opportunities, [and] we didn’t take advantage of those opportunities.”

The RedHawks return to Yager on Sept. 28 at 3:30 p.m. against the University of Massachusetts Minutemen. 

@thekethan04

babukc2@miamioh.edu