Miami Family Weekend: Options when Oxford hotels are full

Every fall, families descend upon Oxford to visit their Miami University students. This years falls on October 18-20.  Parents follow their kids to Brick Street and attend events put on by the university – this year, Sal Vulcano will be visiting campus. No matter the activity your family chooses, there is one common challenge: finding housing. 

With fewer than 10 hotels in Oxford, accommodations for busy weekends like Family Weekend are in short supply. Here is a list of alternative options to explore in case you need a place to stay.

Hueston Woods Lodge

Less than 20 minutes from campus, Hueston Woods Lodge offers traditional hotel rooms, cabins and pet-friendly accommodations, as well as recreational facilities such as a pool and golf course. Hueston Woods is a great alternative to Oxford’s local hotels, providing peace away from the hustle and bustle of Uptown.

Cobblestone Inn and Suites 

Cobblestone Inn and Suites, located in Brookeville, Indiana, is approximately 25 minutes away from Miami’s campus. It offers both basic hotel accommodations and suites for larger families.

Sagamore Resort at Kent’s Harbour

Sagamore Resort at Kent’s Harbour offers families a unique alternative to the typical parents’ weekend hotel. Just 20 minutes away from Oxford, the resort features a golf club, on-site restaurant, boat rentals and marina.

Oxford Bed and Breakfasts

Oxford has not one, not two, but three bed and breakfasts within city limits: White Garden Inn, the Welsh Stewart House and The Doctor's Inn. These accommodations all offer a homier, family-oriented alternative to a typical hotel.

Hamilton Hotels

Located 15 miles away from Oxford, Hamilton provides lodging options for Miami family weekend, ranging from chains such as the Courtyard Marriott to the locally owned Warehouse Hotel at Champion Mill.

Airbnb and VRBO

Both Airbnb and VRBO have listings for lodging options in Oxford and even more in Hamilton. For those looking to house a larger group or enjoy the modern conveniences of home, short-term vacation rentals are the way to go. Local residents often list their homes for busy weekends, increasing the amount of rentals.

Northwest Cincinnati/Fairfield hotels and rentals

If nothing within a closer proximity is available, Northwest Cincinnati and Fairfield offer accommodations. The Holiday Inn Express in Fairfield is 35 minutes away from campus and generally offers more affordable rates than hotels closer to Oxford.

Parent Facebook groups

To find last minute availability in or near Oxford, check Miami parent groups. More often than not, if someone has to cancel at the last minute, they will post availability in these group pages. It’s also not uncommon to find parents offering up spots in Airbnbs or short term vacation rentals– so keep your eyes peeled!

reieram@miamioh.edu