“It’s a woman’s world and you’re lucky to be living in it:” Katy Perry releases new album

Katy Perry's new album, "143," fell flat on Staff Writer Josie Zimmerman's ears.

On Sept. 20, Katy Perry released her new album, “143. This is the seventh studio album Perry has released.

Much like a majority of Gen-Z, I mainly know her biggest hits like “Firework,” “Roar,” “I Kissed A Girl,” etc. Aside from the occasional “American Idol” clips, I do not keep track of Perry and her whereabouts.

That being said, I was curious about what the 39-year-old is up to these days and decided to give her new release a shot.

“WOMAN’S WORLD” kicks off the album with a feminist anthem. It is the lead single from “143. Lyrically, it affirms the increasing prominence of women in society and their impact on today’s world.

“You better celebrate (celebrate) / ‘Cause, baby, we ain’t goin’ away (oh) / It’s a woman’s world and you’re lucky to be livin’ in it”

It’s an upbeat song with over-the-top pop production, a shadow of what will come in the following songs. Each track is written in all caps, characterizing an upbeat vibe throughout the songs.

“GIMME GIMME” surprised me with a rap track featuring 21 Savage. I have not heard Perry rap before. This song is about someone who wants to have sex with another person, but they have to impress them to do it.

“Trippy, trippy, daddy, take me on a ride (me on a ride) / If you want my body, gotta blow my mind (blow my mind),” Perry raps.

“GORGEOUS” is another collaboration with Kim Petras and a second feminine empowerment pop song to add to the list. It’s a “club banger” according to Genius, both lyrically and musically, saying: “He wanna come to the party (Party) / I told him it cost him a yachtie.”

I am not super into club, rap or maximalist pop songs. So far, this album has been a miss for me.

“I’M HIS, HE’S MINE” is the third collaboration on the album, and the second with a rapper — this time, featuring Doechii. It’s sort of a blend between the last two songs, with Perry singing a pop chorus and Doechii bringing the rap touch.

“CRUSH” feels like a nostalgic song for Perry as it talks about the essence of catching feelings for someone. This could easily fit onto one of her older albums with heavy synths and a color-filled narrative.

“LIFETIMES” is a bright tune about eternal love with a partner. Not much to say other than that.

“ALL THE LOVE” stuck out to me more than some of the other tracks on this album. Perry expresses the thought of never finding love again after having her heart broken in the past. I do know a thing or two about this part of her lore, making it easier to draw the dots with the song.

However, it did become more repetitive over time, which is to be expected of a pop song.

“NIRVANA” is another generic, mind-numbing track about dancing and falling in love.

“ARTIFICIAL” explores a different topic about social media personas and the addiction that comes with being online often.

“You got me hooked on your algorithm / Are you real or artificial?” Perry asks.

Lyrically it’s not a bad listen, but musically it’s unironically dull.

“TRUTH” is about a gut feeling that a partner is not who they portray themselves to be and finding out about it. Perry expresses so much skepticism to the point of wanting access to the person’s phone and socials.

Honestly, I could go on about the last few songs on “143,” but aside from those rap collabs all of it just sounds the same in my ears. I’ll give it a 2/10 for the two songs that were remotely interesting with their deep and catchy lyrics.

Rating: 2/10

zimmer82@miamioh.edu