‘I want to get a ring’: Wide receiver Andre Johnson looks to continue Miami football’s success in 2024-25 season

Andre Johnson’s previous experience at Arizona State can pave the way for Miami to make the MAC championship for the second year in a row

We have finally reached that beautiful time of the year when the air turns crisp, the leaves turn orange, and college football kicks off across the country.

One of those teams ready to compete is the Miami University RedHawks, winners of the 2023 Mid-American Conference (MAC) Championship. 

Despite losing players to the transfer portal, such as backup quarterback Aveon Smith, running back Rashad Amos and kicker Graham Nicholson, the boys in Red and White should be equally as deadly this season.

While the transfer portal isn’t always kind, the RedHawks did gain a talented receiver from out west, a name that Miami fans will hear a lot this year: Redshirt senior wide receiver, Andre Johnson.

The 6-foot-4 wide out comes from Avondale, Arizona. Ranked as the 133rd-best wide receiver in the country coming out of Tolleson Union High School, Johnson was also a stellar defensive back, racking up 37 tackles and seven interceptions as a senior, with three being run back for a touchdown.

Johnson feels like his time as a safety turned him into the receiver he is today.

“I feel like it translated into me being more physical,” Johnson said. “Just putting my hands on receivers and blocking, and just having that attitude of not being afraid to hit and get hit.”

At Arizona State University, he played in 37 career games, pulling in 32 career catches for 387 yards and two touchdowns.

“ASU taught me to be patient,” Johnson said. “Just wait my turn, take what you get and work as hard as you can with it.”

However, when it came time for Johnson to transfer, Oxford was the perfect fit.

“I got a call from coach White, and he said how everyone here loves football and how everyone has bought in and that it’s a winning culture, and that’s what got me,” Johnson said.

Head coach Chuck Martin has been impressed by Johnson’s play on the field and his leadership in the locker room, too.

“He is so mature,” Martin said. “Whether it’s treatment, weight training or meetings, just whatever he does, there are certain people who are professionals and have good habits and he is one of them and you gain respect when you do things the right way. All of the young guys see him and how he acts, and he didn’t get it from us. He got it from his upbringing, from his family and from earlier coaches. It has been a joy for him to be a part of this program.”

With plenty of season still left to play, Johnson has lofty goals for himself.

“Obviously I want to get to the league after this year,” Johnson said. “I want to go out with a MAC Championship too. I saw everyone get their rings and I was like, ‘Yeah, I want to get a ring.’ As far as myself personally, I don’t really care about the stats that much. We have a lot of good receivers in the room, so I don’t really know what my stats are going to look like, but I just know when the ball is in the air I’m going to go get it.”

Though the season is just underway, Martin has already seen growth from his new wide receiver.

“Just his knowledge of the game,” Martin said. “His understanding of coverages, his understanding of what and why we’re doing things. He is a really smart kid.”

As far as goals go, wide receiver coach Roy Roundtree has high expectations for the senior receiver.

“I want him to do everything for us,” Roundtree said, “from special teams, to being dominant in the run game as far as blocking technique and then being able to take the top off in the passing game. Just being able to learn it all.”

With his previous experience at Arizona State and leadership role in the locker room, Johnson looks to pave the way for the RedHawks’ offense with the goal of winning a MAC championship.

@c__j30

john1610@miamioh.edu