Fall fashion is back in full swing

Culture Writer Caitlin McNally is helping you spruce up your fall wardrobe with these fashion trends.

As temperatures drop and summer fades away, it’s finally time to draw our attention to the emerging fall season’s trending styles. If you're anything like me, you’re always eager to see the fashion tendencies brought upon by a change in season.

For fans and followers of style, there is nothing quite comparable to fall fashion. Let’s talk about what we can expect to see around Oxford as we move further away from summer and continue to dive into fall.

Sweaters, sweaters, sweaters

One or two basic cardigan sweaters are a must-have this fall. Whether the style is a thicker cable knit or a thinner light-weight layer, pairing a basic tank top with a sweater will never miss. By the same token, you can never go wrong with a quality oversized crewneck. Merging the lines of comfort and style, both serve as easy basics for a long day of classes or a cozy study-day as temperatures continue to drop.

Dark denim washes

Although lighter-wash denim has been all the rage the past few years, it seems apparent that dark wash denim is making a comeback.

Whether it be a trusty pair of wide-leg or low-rise jeans, or a classic denim jacket, dark-wash denim pieces are highly versatile classics that cannot be overlooked. One of my personal staples for early fall has been a dark-wash jean skirt, which I would highly recommend adding to your closet as a reliable basic before temperatures get too cold.

Reds, browns and navies

The incorporation of bolder colors as basics has most definitely served as one of summer’s most prevalent trends this year. It seems that the integration of colors, such as cherry red and burgundy, will continue to prevail heading into the fall season, serving as flexible, yet bold neutrals. A continuation of last fall’s trends, I also see shades of dark brown standing firmly in their position as a primary color this coming season as well. Navy blue also seems to be on the rise — although navy will never truly be out of style.

Stripes

Now that we’ve touched on this season’s in-style colors, let’s touch on patterns. Although patterned clothing may not always be the easiest to incorporate into everyday attire, stripes can be an exception.

Horizontally striped shirts, sweaters and crewnecks have been taking style by storm lately. Emerging as one of my personal fall staples, I purchased the Free People Classic Striped Oversized Crewneck, specifically in a colorway that incorporates a dark shade of red and a shade of navy blue, in line with this season’s trending shades. While Free People tends to be on the pricier side, there are many more cost-effective options that achieve the same (or similar) look.

Cheetah prints

Another significant development seems to be the return of cheetah prints. Various cheetah print variations have taken over retail store shelves and online shopping websites these past few weeks, making a huge comeback. Personally, this is one of my favorite trends, as I’ve been loving a more muted cheetah print pattern paired with jeans.

Be sure to keep an eye out for these trends and styles around Oxford as fall continues to emerge!

mcnallc4@miamioh.edu