Dining halls transition to new management, issues rise across campus

<p>Students wander through the &quot;Global Eats&quot; section in Maple Dining Commons. </p>

Students wander through the "Global Eats" section in Maple Dining Commons.

This past spring, Miami University transitioned from Aramark to Chartwell Higher Ed for on-campus dining. As the fall semester got underway, complaints arose across campus regarding the food.

Reports have swirled around Miami parent Facebook pages, with complaints ranging from limited options to undercooked pizza. In one instance, a student reportedly found a worm in a dish from Bell Tower Commons.

Geno Svec, senior director of dining services, sent out a statement to parents through email addressing the concerns with food quality and selection on campus.

“We did experience a broccoli worm that made it through the wash and prep process that is in place,” Svec wrote. “I addressed the concern with the student directly. We have retrained our staff on our wash and prep process.” 

In the same email, Svec addressed the undercooked pizza that was reportedly being served to students, citing “an equipment problem” and noting that staff would also be retrained to “know what to look for moving forward.” 

Olivia Adam, a first-year marketing major, said her meals have been satisfactory, contrary to complaints received by dining services.

“I think the dining halls have been pretty good so far,” Adam said. “But I wish they changed it up more: It’s the exact same thing every time I go and I wish there were a few more healthy options. The quality isn’t what I’m used to at home, but it’s not all bad.” 

Svec also addressed the selection available to students in his email.

“Food items not available during a busy lunch or dinner service have been a missed opportunity at times,” Svec said. “At times it may appear that we are out of certain food items. Be assured that the dining team is producing more during this time.”

Zoey Lovett, a first-year exploratory studies major, also struggles with the selection of food at the dining hall.

“I can’t ever find anything I like there,” Lovett said. “I wish they had more protein options for the salads. Also, the ice cream isn’t that good.”

Both Lovett and Adam had heard about the insect found at Bell Tower, but neither had experienced it firsthand.

In fact, Lovett noted that it’s her favorite on-campus dining location.

“Personally, I have never come across a bug,” Lovett said. “All of the food I have gotten has been really good. If anything, I’m getting sick of it because I eat it so often.”

reieram@miamioh.edu