Biggest moments in Miami-UC rivalry

The RedHawks and Bearcats have met 127 times dating back to 1888.

The Miami University RedHawks and the University of Cincinnati Bearcats have met 127 times in the longest non-conference rivalry in all of college football. Going into the penultimate scheduled matchup, both teams are tied at 60-60. 

The rivalry holds some notable moments over the years that have culminated in the 60-60-7 overall record. 

1917

Miami was unstoppable from 1915-19. The “Big Red” went 27-0 over the span of four seasons. In 1917, they finished the season with 202 points while allowing their opponents zero. 

On Thanksgiving, Miami faced up against the Bearcats to finish the season out. The muddy and rainy conditions didn’t hamper the team’s attitude, and Miami put up 40 points against Cincinnati while allowing none in return. 

Their 40-0 victory would be the greatest score difference in a Miami victory against Cincinnati for more than 80 years until 1998, when Miami won 41-0. 

Photo by from The Recensio 1924 | The Miami Student

1923

The 1923 RedHawks faced a high task. Head coach Harry E. Ewing entered his second year for the “Big Reds” with just seven returning players and an inexperienced roster. The RedHawks were 3-3-1 going into their final game of the season against the Bearcats. 

The Bearcats pummeled the RedHawks 23-0. However, center James “Jimmy” Gamble Nippert suffered a cut on his leg during the rainy affair. One month later, Nippert passed away. 

Nippert’s grandfather, James Gamble of Procter & Gamble, donated $250,000 to the stadium, which was named the James Gamble Nippert Memorial Stadium. His condition with the donation ensured that the stadium included a dispensary or medical office for athletes to receive immediate help.

The stadium has undergone significant improvements and renovations, but the namesake has stuck around. The Bearcats have hosted 82 Battles for the Victory Bell at Nippert Stadium. 

Photo by from The Recensio 1948 | The Miami Student

1947

Both teams had opposite seasons in 1948. The Bearcats struggled in the regular season and entered the final game at 3-5-1. Meanwhile, the RedHawks eased into the final matchup with a 7-0-1 record. 

Thirty-one thousand packed Nippert Stadium for the late November rivalry game. Miami ran away with the game, winning 38-7. 

Miami’s victory not only won it the conference with an undefeated record, but it earned the RedHawks their first bowl game appearance in the Sun Bowl against Texas Tech. 

The RedHawks later defeated Texas Tech in January of 1948 for their first bowl game victory. 

Photo by from The Recensio 1951 | The Miami Student

1950

The Battle for the Victory Bell became a Thanksgiving tradition in the Cincinnati area for several years. November 25, 1950, was no different. The Bearcats, led by head coach Sid Gillman, welcomed the RedHawks to a 15-degree snow game. 

Gillman previously coached at Miami from 1944-47 before leaving for Cincinnati. At the end of the 1950 season, both teams fought for both the bell and the conference title (Cincinnati played in the MAC from 1947-52). 

The RedHawks handed Gillman and the Bearcats a decisive 28-0 victory, the first time a team coached by the hall-of-famer lost without scoring any points. 

The win earned Miami a bid in the Salad Bowl, where the team beat the Arizona State University Sun Devils in its second bowl appearance of all time. 

Less than two hours from Cincinnati, the University of Michigan Wolverines and Ohio State University Buckeyes faced off in what would eventually be called the Snow Bowl on the same day. The Wolverines defeated the Buckeyes for a bid in the 1950 Rose Bowl, and the game became one of the most important moments in the historic Big Ten rivalry. 

Miami’s head coach Woody Hayes left Oxford to coach the Buckeyes in 1951. He led them to five national championships in his 28 years with Ohio State. 

Photo by from The Recensio 1969 | The Miami Student

1968

Nine days before Millett Hall officially opened, the RedHawks traveled to Cincinnati for the season-closing battle.  Miami held onto the advantage for three-and-a-half quarters, leading 14-0 with 11 minutes left in the game. 

The Bearcats were led by quarterback Greg Cook, the nation’s leading passer. They began their upward trek with a 14-play drive for 90 yards to put Cincinnati’s first points on the board. Miami responded with another touchdown, but the Bearcats regained the momentum and brought the game within one score, 21-14. 

Another touchdown brought the score to 21-20. Cincinnati head coach Homer Rice called for a two-point conversion, which the Bearcats were unable to accomplish. 

The teams traded possessions after a failed onside kick. With 56 seconds left, Cook got to work from his own 20-yard line. 

The No. 1 passer got the ball within field goal range, giving the Bearcats the 23-21 comeback victory. 

The loss marked Miami head coach Bo Schembechler’s last game with the RedHawks. He left for Michigan following the 1968 season. 

Photo by from The Recensio 1974 | The Miami Student

1973-75

The 1973-75 RedHawks emulated the same squad from 60 years prior. Over those three seasons, Miami won 32 games, losing just to the Michigan State University Spartans in 1975. 

Each of those seasons concluded the same way: a regular-season matchup against the Bearcats to send them to a bowl game. 

The RedHawks outscored the Bearcats 54-20 for three consecutive victories. 

Those tremendous performances earned Miami a national ranking in each year from 1973-75. The team peaked with a No. 12 ranking before the 1974 Battle for the Victory Bell. 

The RedHawks faced off in the Tangerine Bowl for three years straight against the University of Florida Gators (1973), the University of Georgia Bulldogs (1974) and the University of South Carolina Gamecocks (1975). Miami went 3-0 in these appearances.

Photo by from The Recensio 2004 | The Miami Student

2003

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger finished his last Battle for the Victory Bell with 377 passing yards and two touchdowns. Despite that, the RedHawks nearly lost the game when the Bearcats mounted a late-game comeback that fell short.

Miami held a 42-17 lead with 13 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. In the final minutes, Cincinnati scored four times, bringing the score to 42-37. However, a fumbled punt in the final 30 seconds of the game allowed Roethlisberger to kneel and take his third straight victory over Cincinnati. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Roethlisberger in the first round of the 2004 NFL draft. Miami took home one more Victory Bell in 2005 before starting the longest losing streak in the rivalry. 

Photo by Ryan Terhune | The Miami Student

2017

The 2017 game provided Miami an opportunity to snap a 12-game losing streak at home. Going into the final minutes of the fourth quarter, the RedHawks appeared to have accomplished this with a 17-6 lead and four minutes on the clock. 

The Bearcats had different plans.

Cincinnati’s offensive drive brought them to the endzone for the first time of the day in a minute and 53 seconds. A successful two-point conversion brought the score to 17-14. 

With the ball back in their hands, the RedHawks needed to convert on first-down and run the clock. However, a pick-six interception with just over a minute left in the game gave the Bearcats the lead at 21-17. 

Cincinnati stifled Miami’s next offensive drive, and the losing streak continued. 

Photo by Jessica Monahan | The Miami Student

2023

We all know how this game played out. 

The RedHawks’ 16-game losing streak and their previous 38-3 loss to the University of Miami Hurricanes didn’t inspire hope for Miami fans. Cincinnati’s 2-0 start to the season, including a 66-13 victory over the Eastern Kentucky University Colonels, made many believe that Miami’s losing streak would continue.

Going into the final minutes of the fourth quarter, both teams were tied at 24-24. Miami forced a fourth down on the Bearcats, but a fake punt kept their offensive drive going. Cincinnati set itself up for a game-winning field goal from 35-yards with 19 seconds left. 

The kick went up, but Yahsyn McKee ensured it didn’t make it to the goalposts. 

The RedHawks took the first score in overtime to go up 31-24. With one defensive stop, they would take the Victory Bell back to Oxford for the first time since 2005. 

Cincinnati marched down to the two-yard line. On fourth-and-two, with the game on the line, McKee intercepted a pass in the endzone, sealing the RedHawks’ victory. 

@thekethan04

babukc2@miamioh.edu