The Emmys 2024: The big four, record-breaking nominees and making history

The Emmys on Sept. 15 was full of record-breaking nominees and historical moments.

The 2024 Emmys aired live on ABC on Sept. 15, celebrating the most notable television performances over the last year, and, as co-host Dan Levy puts it, “broadcast TV’s biggest night for honoring movie stars on streaming services.”

Levy and his father Eugene Levy (both on “Schitt’s Creek” and off-screen) hosted this year’s ceremony, opening with a lighthearted monologue that poked fun at some of the season’s nominees.

This year’s ceremony moved on from past winners and Academy favorites: “Ted Lasso” and “Succession” ended their runs on the third and fourth seasons respectively last year, leaving the doors open for new stars in the Outstanding Drama and Outstanding Comedy categories.

There were many historic moments at the awards ceremony this year in Los Angeles’ Peacock Theater, with an overwhelming amount of wins from “The Big Four” of the night: “Hacks,” “Shogun,” “Baby Reindeer” and “The Bear.”

“The Bear” received 10 total nominations between Sunday’s show and the previous week’s Creative Arts Emmys. While many argue whether “The Bear” is even a comedy, the show garnered praise for its second season. Jeremy Allen White won the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series award for the second year in a row for his portrayal of chef Carmen Berzatto. 

“I want us to be in each other's lives forever,” White said, extending a hand to his co-stars during his acceptance speech.

His co-star and on-screen cousin Ebon Moss-Bachrach also repeated his win in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series category. Jamie Lee Curtis won a Creative Arts Emmy for her guest role as the powerful Berzatto matriarch in the sixth episode of the show’s second season. This episode, titled “Fishes,” also received the Outstanding Directing award for a comedy series.

The most notable of “The Bear’s” wins this year went to Liza Colon-Zayas for her role as Tina Marerro. Colon-Zayas became the first Latina to win the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series award. When accepting the award, she admitted that she hadn’t written a speech because she did not envision herself winning.

“To all the Latinas who are looking at me,” Colon-Zayas said in her speech, “Keep believing and vote.

Ayo Edebiri did not repeat her win in the Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series category, as the award went to “Hacks’s” Jean Smart instead. “Hacks, a show about female comedians, earned three wins at Sunday’s show for Smart’s leading performance, Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series and Outstanding Comedy Series. “Hacks” upset “The Bear” in the final category, as “The Bearwon the award previously.

Actor and show co-creator Paul W. Downs accepted the final award, sharing his appreciation for the cast and crew as they stood behind him. 

“We are so lucky to live our dream and make television,” Downs said, “and we could not do it without our Hacksfamily.”

The show’s producer Lucia Aniello also revealed that the crew was set to begin filming the newest season of the show five days later. Both “The Bear” and “Hacks” beat nominees from “Only Murders in the Building,” “Abbott Elementary” and “Palm Royale.”

In the Outstanding Drama categories, “Shogun” further contributed to the history made on-stage during the ceremony. The FX production became the most decorated show in a single season, winning 14 Creative Arts Emmys and receiving 25 total nominations in its first year eligible. It held the most nominations of any show recognized at the ceremony. Set in 1600s Japan, the show took the crown for Outstanding Lead Actor, Outstanding Lead Actress, Outstanding Directing and Outstanding Drama Series.

Hiroyuki Sanada’s portrayal of Lord Yoshii Toranaga beat out performances from “The Crown,” “Fallout” and “Slow Horses.

Lead actress winner Anna Sawai tearfully accepted her award, announcing to the crowd that she had been crying since before her name was even announced. Sawai went on to thank FX, her cast members and her mother. 

“You showed me stoicism and that’s how I was able to portray Mariko,” Sawai said.

The Limited Anthology Series or Movie is often a forgotten category, but “Baby Reindeer” proved it was worth paying attention to. The show, based on a true story from Richard Gadd’s life, follows a man’s experience with a stalker he met at work. It aired on Netflix in April of 2024.

“Baby Reindeer” earned 11 total nominations with four wins on Sunday, one being the overall Outstanding Limited Anthology Series or Movie award. Gadd won the Outstanding Lead Actor award for his portrayal of a fictionalized version of himself, and Jessica Gunning won for her portrayal as Martha. The show also received recognition for its writing.

While these “Big Four” winners received ample recognition, other performances and contributions made an impact this year, too. Jodie Foster and Lamorne Morris won for Outstanding Lead Actress and Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or Anthology respectively. “Baby Reindeer” actress Nava Mau became the first Latina trans nominee in the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Limited Series or Movie category, sharing a touching moment with Laverne Cox on the red carpet.

The Academy also presented Greg Berlanti with the Governor’s Award. Berlanti, known for his work on “Dawson’s Creek” and various other projects, has fought for inclusion in the industry and continues advocating for LGBTQ+ visibility on-screen. 

Berlanti’s heartwarming speech recalls these memories and ties them to the encouragement he received from his late mother. 

“The belief she had in me still lingers on long after she’s gone,” Berlanti said. “If my mom were here, she would want you to know that you are loved … You have a story to tell and we need those stories now more than ever. She believes in you, and I do too. So, hurry up and get here!”

The full list of nominees and winners can be found here.

harri531@miamioh.edu