The best way to prepare for your first year: Don’t.

I’ve always been a humble person. I don’t start conversations about my accomplishments, wanting others to praise and gush about me. I shy away and downplay my achievements if I’m suddenly flooded with compliments.

Yet there are some things I brag about. I become cocky about what I consider myself skilled at, like photography or performing. I especially felt confident about my knowledge of journalism before coming to Miami University.

However, I admit I sometimes think I’m more prepared than I actually am.

I wrote for my high school’s newspaper all four years. I worked my way up the job ladder, eventually becoming the editor-in-chief my senior year. I received praise from not only my friends and family but also my journalism teacher, who wasn’t known for handing out compliments.

I knew there was more to learn in college, but I thought I’d be too smart for my required introductory courses. And when I was choosing clubs to get involved with, I made a beeline for the newspaper, The Miami Student.

I knew TMS would give me valuable journalism experience and help me find my place in the career field. But I thought I would instantly impress everyone with how much I already knew about journalism. They’d expect a beginner when really they were receiving an expert.

After submitting my first article for TMS, I quickly realized this was not the case.

I became acutely aware of how much I didn’t learn from my previous journalism classes. I had no idea there were tons of AP-style rules you had to follow. I didn’t know there were different ways to start your article. I never would have guessed I could use flowery language and my writing didn’t have to sound so bland.

I was no longer the only person in the room who cared about journalism. There were now at least 20 of them crowding the newsroom.

I won’t lie and say my ego wasn’t bruised numerous times during my first year. I locked myself out of my dorm room, I ended classes with B’s and I ate dinner in my room a lot. I auditioned for a dance club and didn’t make it, I submitted writing and didn’t win awards and I made countless silly writing mistakes.

I’ve always considered myself an over-preparer. Someone who packs too much instead of not bringing enough. I don’t ask for help often because I think I’m able to figure things out on my own, and I don’t expect to be shocked by big life changes.

I expected not to struggle with common first-year college issues. In reality, I faced them all.

In no way did my first year go as I had planned. I doubt anyone could confidently say their first year of college went as expected. There’s no way to prepare for what you’ll face during these next nine months.

If I could say anything to incoming first-years, I would tell them to anticipate nothing living up to their expectations. Make preparations, but expect surprises and setbacks. Don’t set outrageous standards for yourself, you’ll feel silly when you fail.

Expect nothing from this year. That way, it’s all the better when those good moments do come around.

If I told myself a year ago how my first semester went, she would have been terrified to start college. But I had to get through the terrible first semester to make it to a better second semester. Everything has to go wrong for everything to go right.

powerstj@miamioh.edu

Taylor Powers is a sophomore double majoring in journalism and media and communications. She is the assistant opinion editor for The Student and edits for The Miami Student Magazine. She’s also a PR chair for Miami Dance Corps.