RedHawks soccer takes first loss of the season against Indiana State

The RedHawks return home this Thursday after losing to Indiana State last week

Miami RedHawks soccer moved to 1-1-1 after its first loss of the season against the Indiana State Sycamores (3-0) on Aug. 22. The RedHawks lost 2-0. 

The action started early after Sycamore junior Brooklyn Woods put the ball past RedHawks goalie Mallory Thomas off a corner kick in the ninth minute. 

In the 33rd minute, Alex Lehnart kicked the ball into the bottom corner to increase the Sycamores’ lead to 2-0. Neither team scored afterwards, leading to the Sycamores’ second win of the season.

The RedHawks matched the Sycamores’ shots and shots on goals (nine and five respectively) but failed to get the ball in the net. Thomas had three saves in her second start of the season. 

With this most recent loss, Miami moved to 2-1-1 against Indiana State. 

The RedHawks return to Oxford this Thursday against the Northern Kentucky University Norse (0-3). When the two teams played last year, the Norse came out on top, winning 1-0 after an early goal. 

The Norse lost the first two games of the season against other Mid-American Conference (MAC) opponents: the Western Michigan University Broncos and the Ohio University Bobcats. The Norse’s third loss came from the University of Louisville Cardinals on Aug. 25. 

Despite the loss, the RedHawks can return home against a team that is already seasoned against MAC opponents. Historically, Miami is 1-2 against Northern Kentucky, but the team’s performance in recent games, especially from fifth-year Taylor Hamett with four goals already, can give them an advantage.

The RedHawks take the Bobby Kramig field on Aug. 29 at 7 p.m.

@thekethan04

babukc2@miamioh.edu