Which is better: An empty or full theater? A movie theater employee weighs in

As a movie theater employee, asst. C&C editor Stella Powers gives her insight on full versus empty theaters.

I have always enjoyed going to the movies. It’s my favorite rainy-day activity and my go-to for hanging out with friends. This summer, it became my job.

While searching for a part-time job to make some money over summer break, I applied to my local movie theater and got the job. Though I spent a lot of time at the theater before, this only helped to make movies even more accessible for me, allowing me to see all kinds of films in different theater settings.

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to seeing a movie — whether they get butter on their popcorn or not, an Icee or a soda, where they sit in the theater, if they see the film in 3D — the list goes on and on. One of the main preferences people tend to have, however, is whether they see a movie in a full or empty theater.

Both have their benefits, so for me, it depends on the movie. I do have my preferences on some things — I always sit in the middle of the theater and get light butter on my popcorn. However, when it comes to a full theater versus an empty one, it isn’t a one-size-fits-all situation.

I am a firm believer that big releases are always more fun in a full theater. If there’s a new Marvel movie or something along those lines, I think it’s better to have that experience with a big group of people. Usually, there’s always at least one fun surprise or cameo, and it’s so much fun to hear how everyone around you reacts.

However, if it’s a smaller release, or something less surprise-packed and more cinematography and story-focused, sometimes seeing it alone or with just a few other people in the theater can be better. It allows the audience to focus on the artistry of the film with less distractions, especially because not everyone knows how to be respectful in a theater.

One of the worst things people can do in a theater is talk. Everyone is there to enjoy a movie, and it can be difficult when people don’t respect that. When there’s a lot of talking, it’s easy to miss details or get distracted. To most likely avoid this annoying occurrence, seeing a movie in a less full theater may be the best option.

But at the same time, nothing beats the energy and excitement of a full theater. Nothing compares to experiencing the film with a group of people, especially when it’s a highly anticipated release.

Recently, I went to see “Deadpool & Wolverine,” and the theater was packed. Due to the nature of the film, it was perfect. The surprises and hilarious dialogue was great to experience with that large group of people. We all laughed and cheered together, which made it a memorable group experience. I had a similar experience with the 2024 release of “Mean Girls.” The movie was so funny that I loved experiencing it with other people.

When I saw the film “I Saw the TV Glow,” the theater was nearly empty, which I preferred in this situation. It felt more intimate, more personal. I felt like that was the ideal situation for seeing this film.

Both have their positives and negatives — sometimes it’s better to see a movie in a full theater, other times empty. It depends on the film and whether it should be a shared experience or a more intimate one, and that’s up to the individual to decide.

powers40@miamioh.edu