Following my passions to find my place

Since I was a freshman in high school, I knew I wanted to study journalism in college. I had no idea where I would go or what I would do with it, but I knew it was what I was meant to do.

While I wrote for my high school newspaper and have always loved writing, I spent the majority of my life in the arts. I was a full-blown theater kid, I was involved in choir and my favorite thing to do in my free time was watch movies. When I chose journalism as my major, I was scared I would have to give all that up.

I wasn’t sure I was ready for that. Not yet.

Before I even started at Miami University, I knew I wanted to write for The Miami Student, so I attended the informational meeting for new students. A lot of the editors went over their sections and what they entailed. I was already interested in writing for the Campus & Community section, but the meeting convinced me to write for the Entertainment section, now known as Culture, too.

I was able to write about what I love and care about, while also pursuing my interest in journalism. It was the best of both worlds – the Culture section allows me to write about theater, music, movies, television and everything that interests me related to entertainment. Honestly, it was a dream come true.

I still write for both Culture and Campus & Community. The Miami Student has given me a place to write about what’s happening in the world and the Oxford community, while also writing about my interests.

Going away to college and leaving the life you have always known can be hard — it certainly was for me. Finding a way to combine my passions and do something I really love is what helped me find my place here. Honestly, if it weren’t for The Student, I don’t know that I would have stayed at Miami.

During the spring semester of my first year, I got a little bit homesick and became really depressed. I spent most days alone in my dorm room and, occasionally, had a hard time actually making it to class.

I didn’t think Miami was going to work for me, and spent the greater part of my second semester contemplating transferring. For a while, I was set on it. I even filled out transfer applications and sent one in.

I’m not entirely sure when that changed. One day, I decided I was transferring. I told my advisers, friends and family. It was pretty much official, until I realized I couldn’t give up TMS. I had found my place here and met some of my favorite people in just one year.

That wasn’t something I could just say goodbye to and start over somewhere else — I knew my time at Miami wasn’t meant to end, not yet.

There were quite a few more factors that played into my decision, but the biggest one by far was this: I knew my time with TMS wasn’t over, and leaving Miami would mean leaving that all behind. I wasn’t ready for that.

At the end of the day, I know I made the right decision. My journey with The Miami Student, and Miami as a whole, is just beginning.

powers40@miamioh.edu

Stella Powers is a sophomore journalism major from Wooster, Ohio. She is an assistant Campus & Community editor for The Miami Student and also writes and edits for The Miami Student Magazine.