Well worth the wait: Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds deliver performances of a lifetime in ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’

Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds are the perfect duo in "Deadpool & Wolverine," according to asst. C&C editor Stella Powers.

Deadpool is back and better than ever — this time, with “X-Men” icon Wolverine by his side. It’s the team-up of a lifetime, a legendary Marvel bromance – and it’s nothing short of perfect.

From the moment I saw the Marvel logo at the beginning of the film, I knew I was in for a wild ride. The combination of Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds is brilliant, and the dynamic between these characters is nothing short of amazing. Jackman’s loner Wolverine and Reynolds’ no-filter Deadpool make the perfect pair, taking the audience through a powerful story filled with endless laughter and fun.

Though the film has a lengthy runtime of 128 minutes, it’s so fast-paced and fun that not a single moment feels unnecessary. Every bit of this film serves its purpose.

Prior to this film, Jackman said that the 2017 film “Logan” would be his last time playing the character of Wolverine. However, when Reynolds approached him with the idea for their team-up, he couldn’t turn the offer down. Jackman isn’t the only one to come back and reprise an iconic role from past Marvel and X-Men films, but don’t worry, I won’t spoil. You’ll have to see the movie for yourself to find out who else makes an appearance.

Jackman’s iconic return as the character is accompanied by the first on-screen version of Wolverine’s suit, something the character never wore in the films prior. It took 20 years, but it’s well worth the wait.

A highlight of the film is the opening credits, which features Deadpool dancing to NSYNC’s “Bye Bye Bye.” It’s so fun and iconic that the official NSYNC YouTube channel has renamed its music video to say “Official video from Deadpool and Wolverine.

Despite its fun, silly moments, the greatest strength of the film has to be its commentary. Using Deadpool’s iconic fourth wall breaks and unusual awareness, the film comments on the current state of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the multiverse era and even pokes fun at Jackman’s musical theater roles in “The Greatest Showman” and “The Music Man.” Reynolds’ Deadpool also mentions “Gossip Girl,” the hit TV show starring his wife, Blake Lively. 

Moments like these are the highlight of the film, showing how much fun the cast and crew had making it and how much love really went into it.

Unlike a lot of recent movies, “Deadpool & Wolverine” feels like something that was made because they wanted to make it, not because they had to. There’s so much heart in this film, which is part of what makes it so special.

Even for those who aren’t big fans of these characters or Marvel as a whole, this film is a fun watch for everyone, and laughter is almost guaranteed. It’s one of the best Marvel films released since “Avengers: Endgame,” and it was most definitely worth the wait.

Remember — don’t forget to stay for the post-credit scene.

Rating: 9/10

powers40@miamioh.edu