Miami’s Department of Geography Hosts Geography Awareness Week

By: Olivia Bauer

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 5.17.30 PMToday, Nov. 12, kicks off Geography Awareness Week (GeoWeek), which is hosted by Miami’s Department of Geography. This week is dedicated to showcasing Miami’s Department of Geography and getting the community/campus involved in geography-related events, specifically focused on development and planning for a sustainable world. There are events happening Monday, Nov. 12 through Fri. Nov. 16. Monday through Friday in the Shideler Atrium there will be pop-up advising stations as well as student organization tables. It is a great opportunity to meet with student groups involving geography, geology and environmental science to get more involved and receive some advice on careers and classes. More specific opportunities are available each day next week. On Monday, Nov. 12, there are two events going on. In Shideler 152 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., there is a career panel co-hosted by the Geography, Geology and Institute for the Environment and Sustainability for students to learn more about affiliated fields. In Shideler 032 from 7:15-8:15 p.m., there is a networking event that offers students the opportunity to connect and network with alumni in geography, geology and environmental science fields. Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 5.17.17 PM.pngOn Wednesday, Nov. 14 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. in Shideler 053, Miami’s Department of Geography is hosting a “Climate Action Town Hall.” During this time, stakeholders including students, faculty and Oxford community leaders will discuss the progress of greenhouse gas reduction both on and off campus. In addition, there will be an open discussion for strategies to work towards neutrality of greenhouse gas emissions at Miami and within the Oxford communityOn Thursday, Nov. 15 from 4:30-5:30 p.m. in Shideler 132, come solo or in a team to the geography trivia contest. Teams can be made of up to four players, and there are chances to win prizes!There are two events to end the week. On Friday, Nov. 16 from 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in Shideler 132, there is a spatial visualization and R stats workshop. If you are interested, please register for this free event by contacting Jessica McCarty-Kern at mccartjl@miamioh.edu. Later in the day from 4:00-7:00 p.m. in Shideler 132, 134 and 136, there is an opportunity to help with humanitarian mapping at Mapathon. No experience is necessary, and you will be helping those in need.For more detailed information, visit bit.ly/MUgeoweek.  

Photo by Miami University Department of Geography.