IES graduate & NASA research scientist Dan Irwin to speak at Miami

By: Tali Hunt

Miami University will host NASA research scientist Dan Irwin on Friday, February 12 for a seminar regarding his efforts to help developing countries improve land use and prepare for climate risks.

Dan Irwin is an alumnus from Miami’s Institute of Environmental Sciences Master’s program class of 1992. He will speak at 4pm in Shideler Hall, Room 001 about the program he founded, SERVIR.

Through SERVIR, NASA and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), and other leading organizations on the regional scale, are cooperating to use satellites in Earth’s orbit and geospatial technology to improve awareness and increase access to information for people in less-developed parts of the world.

Irwin has 20 years of experience with satellite remote sensing applications and Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Since he founded SERVIR, the program has become active in over 40 countries.

SERVIR is working to help people in places like Africa and Mesoamerica better improve their chances to have food security, safe drinking water and productive land use. The information being collected by SERVIR also helps alert these populations of natural disasters.

SERVIR was credited with providing important information in 2007 in terms of helping developing countries to monitor their land use, changes in land surface, oceans and the atmosphere.

This seminar, SERVIR: Connecting Space to Village Through a Unique NASA and USAID Partnership, is free admission and open to all students.