Arson suspected in Indian Ridge fire

Hannah Poturalski

A fire that swept through the clubhouse of Indian Ridge Golf Club last month has been ruled arson by Ohio's Division of Fire Marshal.

The burnt remains of the clubhouse can be seen through a cluster of trees just minutes south of campus along U.S. Route 27.

Around 12:30 a.m. Monday, June 22, authorities responded to the fire and could not contain it until 7 a.m.

Oxford firefighter Jeff Matix said the fire has been declared a total loss, at over $1 million in damages.

"When we arrived, there was heavy smoke but no fire showing," Matix said. "Shortly after heavy fire began and it was rocking. The fire was fully involved from end to end of the club house."

Jim Brazen, general manager of Indian Ridge Golf Club, said there's not much left of the club house and they are running business out of a temporary trailer. He hopes construction of a new clubhouse will begin in the fall.

"Prior to the fire we were having a pretty good season and now business has decreased 40 percent during weekdays," Brazen said. "It's definitely hurt our business."

Shane Cartmill, public information officer for Ohio's Division of Fire Marshal, said a Blue Ribbon Arson Reward for up to $5,000 has been announced for anyone who can lead to the identification of the person responsible.

"Investigators are following up on leads provided by the tips," Cartmill said. "We've received pretty good information."

Cartmill said the fire was ruled arson because investigators were able to rule out all accidental possibilities and found evidence to believe it was arson. Cartmill said he couldn't release what the evidence was because the investigation is ongoing.

Matix said the ladder truck he was on hauled 120,000 gallons of water alone. He said twice as much as that was needed to finally extinguish the fire.

People still played golf the next morning and have been very supportive toward the club, Matix said.

This was the third fire in five years for Indian Ridge Golf Club. Matix said the two other non-serious fires involved a maintenance barn fire and a mulch fire.

Eight different departments responded to the fire June 22 - Oxford, Milford and Somerville Fire Departments; Riley, Hanover, and Ross Township Fire Departments; and College Corner and Seven Mile Village Fire Departments.

If you have information about the fire, or would like to submit a tip, call 1-800-589-2728.