Animal Friends Humane Society to relocate shelter

Rebecca Kelley

The animals of Butler County will soon have a new shelter to help make their stay at the Humane Society as comfortable as possible.

Butler County plans to break ground in April on a new building for the Animal Friends Humane Society on Princeton Road near Hamilton.

According to Leland Gordon, executive director of the Animal Friends Humane Society, the need for a new shelter is very high, as the old building, located in Trenton, is 55 years old and poses a health risk for the animals. Gordon said the existing structure has poor ventilation and poor plumbing, problems a new building will easily solve.

"It should have been replaced years ago," Gordon said.

The new building will be a more modern structure, Gordon said, and will be a pre-engineered building made mostly of metal to keep the costs down for the county.

"The new building will be able to keep the animals healthy," Gordon said.

Gordon is also excited about the location of the new structure, on Princeton Road near Hamilton. He said this location puts the shelter toward the middle of the county, making the Humane Society accessible to the whole county.

"It is a good location," Gordon said. "It is near the people we serve."

The new shelter is being funded completely by Butler County, paid for by a tax levy voted for in November 2006.

According to Tippi Slaughter, administrative assistant with the Butler County Board of Elections, the vote in 2006 was 54.26 percent for the tax levy and 45.74 percent against the levy.

"It was pretty close," Slaughter said.

Slaughter believes that the nature of the levy prompted many people to participate in the vote.

"There was a lot of interest in this," Slaughter said. "I think people love dogs."

The construction work on the new animal structure is being done through the architecture firm Robert Treadon and Associates.

According to Robert Treadon, the firm hopes to break ground on the project in early to mid April and to finish the project by the end of 2008.

Treadon explained that the nature of the pre-engineered structure allows for a shorter construction time, and that the firm hopes to get it done in around eight months.