Alumni Hall exhibit showcases artistic responses to warfare

"Artists Respond to War" in the Wertz Art and Architecture Library includes 42 studies by Picasso as well as other pieces by more modern artists.   --Mihr Devare/The Miami Student
"Artists Respond to War" in the Wertz Art and Architecture Library includes 42 studies by Picasso as well as other pieces by more modern artists. --Mihr Devare/The Miami Student

Morgan Riedl

Soundless, yet resounding, are the voices that echo in the exhibition called, "Artists Respond To War," currently on display in the Wertz Art and Architecture Library in the basement of Alumni Hall.

From Picasso to several modern artists, the display includes artwork that responds and reacts to warfare and all of the tragedy that accompanies it throughout time.

Bound in books, the artwork includes paintings, photographs as well as other media.

Stacy Nakumura Brinkman, an art and architecture librarian, explained the process in which specific artists were chosen.

"We took books out of our collection about how artists over different time periods have responded to war," Brinkman said.

Among the works on display are 42 preliminary studies Picasso did in preparation for his mural, "Guernica," a piece he created after the Spanish Civil War bombing of a small town, for which the piece is named. Picasso used the preliminary drawings to plan out the final work.

"(The mural itself) has come to be known as the most famous or most significant response to war in art," Brinkman said.

The facsimiles, which are exact copies of Picasso's studies, are rotated daily with two or three viewable each day. Brinkman said that Miami is lucky to actually own the pieces.

"We acquired the book (of facsimiles) last year," Brinkman said. "We're the only academic library in Ohio that has it, according to the OhioLINK catalog."

Also featured in the exhibition is Steve Mumford's book, Baghdad Journal: An Artist In Occupied Iraq.

The New York artist traveled to Iraq four times between 2003 and 2004, capturing scenes as they unfolded in a manner similar to sketches from a courtroom.

"Instead of photojournalism, he is sketching and using watercolor in the streets to capture the everyday experience of the conflict in Iraq," Brinkman said.

Brinkman said that the purpose of the exhibit was not to convey a specific message.

"I don't think it's that intentional," Brinkman said. "It came out of more of a desire to participate, to think about the different response of war. We hear how politicians respond to war, how filmmakers respond to war, and artists are not a silent group."

Brinkman points to an excerpt from Munford's book, which reads, "I didn't want the drawings to be propaganda for the left or the right so much a record of what I saw and experienced in Iraq."

Kelly Quinn, assistant professor of American studies, said that the display is not political, but is designed to inspire public discourse. The heart of the project, she said, lies in answering one question.

"What kinds of information can libraries and librarians share about civic life and culture? The real goal is for librarians to foster civic discourse," Quinn said.

The exhibit is a part of Miami University's participation in the September Project, which was initiated by associates of Quinn at the University of Washington in 2004. Quinn introduced it to Miami University upon her arrival in August. The project, which in commemorating the events of September 11 is designed to promote discussions of war and peace, is already international in scope at more than 500 libraries in 30 countries.

Quinn praised Brinkman's open setup.

"The exhibit is displayed in the reading room among the periodicals, so students there studying will happen upon these opened books," Quinn said.

Brinkman herself noted that the exhibition is casual and not geared toward a particular audience.

"It just came together very quickly in the spirit of the September Project," Brinkman said. "It's a way to unite with other libraries globally, both academic and public."

Though this display is unique, exhibitions are not uncommon in the library.

"We do book displays all the time," Brinkman said. "This was timely, but we often have themed collections. We have a lot of really nice books and this is a chance to showcase them."

She went on to say that she is open to suggestions from professors and students for future themes.

Brinkman has yet to observe student or staff reaction, pointing out that the exhibit opened Monday without any advertisement.

According to Brinkman, the display will probably stay up until the end of the month.