Alumna competes with 4,000 to receive educator award

Michelle Lohmann

The only educator to receive the United States Department of Education Star of Teaching Award in Idaho can claim Miami University as her alma mater.

Kathleen Cawrse, a 1975 graduate, has recently been honored with the award, which is given to only one teacher per state based on their ability to introduce innovative ideas in the classroom. Cawrse, Idaho's winner, competed with more than 4,000 applicants nationwide.

Cawrse graduated from Miami with a degree in both elementary education and special education. Cawrse especially values her special education degree because of the unique ideas and techniques it taught her that can also be useful in a regular classroom environment.

"My Miami education classes were great because so many of them required practical ideas that could be used in my own classroom as well as teaching the theory behind education," Cawrse said.

She considers the hands-on techniques she learned in her education classes essential in keeping a fresh perspective on what it's like to be a student in a classroom, in addition to being a teacher in front of it.

Ray Witte, associate dean for administration for Miami's School of Education and Allied Professions, said that many of their graduates do outstanding work, and that they receive calls on a regular basis from people thanking them, or from personnel wanting more Miami graduates. These accomplishments, including Cawrse's national recognition, say a lot about the school and about the quality of students who come to Miami, according to Witte.

"Obviously we're overjoyed," Witte said. "This speaks volumes about her dedication to her profession, and we'd like to think Miami had something to do with it."

Cawrse teaches eighth grade English in Boise, Idaho, at Crossroads Middle School, an alternative school that specializes in teaching students who are dealing with things such as attention deficit disorder, family issues and social or emotional problems.

Most of the students, who have experienced years of failure, experience success after coming to Crossroads, according to Cawrse. She said students' success is due largely to the fact that they receive individual attention from teachers in a small class size environment.

"We set high standards and then offer zillions of opportunities for our kids to succeed," Cawrse said. "I like being part of a school where I know I am making a difference."

Cawrse's principal, Karen Harr, nominated her for the Star of Teaching Award primarily because of several extremely successful reading programs that she has developed. "Books and Buddies" and "All School Read" are two programs that Cawrse has developed during her time at Crossroads.

"Books and Buddies" takes place once a month, and encourages students and an adult to come and hear about four different books that Cawrse selects. The next month, students and their buddies meet again to discuss the books, enjoy refreshments and hear about four more books.

The second program, "All School Read," is an event at which every student and staff member get a copy of the same book and engage in activities and contests while reading the book over a month-long period. The program concludes with a chance for all the students and their families to join the author for dinner and discussion. Both programs are funded by grants written by Cawrse so that students are provided with free books.

"It is a lot of hard work to find the fund, choose the book, find the activities and then pull it all together," Cawrse said, "but everyone has such a great time with it that it makes it worth it."

On a more individual level, Cawrse encourages her students to read daily by recommending personalized books based on her knowledge of their interests and reading level. Her goal is not to make students finish books that they are not enthusiastic about, but to find books that they genuinely enjoy.

"I love it when I have a kid who has never read a book brings a book that I have selected for him back to me and says, 'I loved it and I want another one just like it,' and I know just what book they will like next," Cawrse said.