Add Teach for America to your post-college plans

By Carly Kimiecik, Senior, Health Promotion and American Studies

When I think about my time at Miami, I have nothing but fun and rewarding memories and experiences to share. My time here has allowed me to flourish, explore and discover my interests, my passions and myself. Now that my senior year has rolled around, it's hard to imagine what comes next.

Like a lot of college grads, I could answer this in a lot of different ways. I thought about graduate school, the Peace Corps, or working with a non-profit organization.

But as I thought about each of my options, nothing stood out. The only thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to help people and have a positive impact on communities full of promise.

As a double major in Health Promotion and American Studies, I've learned that rising out of poverty is more challenging than ever before. Today, for students growing up in our lowest-income communities, just 6 percent will graduate from college by the time they're 25.

With all this in mind, I began my search for organizations committed to promoting economic mobility.

That's when I stumbled across Teach For America - a program centered on a belief that equality in education is the key to creating opportunity for low-income kids. I had found the movement I was looking for.

Whenever I tell someone that I am joining Teach For America many respond with, "Wow, that's going to be hard work, are you sure you want to do that?" My answer is always, "Yes, I do."

I know it's not going to be easy, but it is too important to shy away from.

I know I will need to work harder than I ever have before, in close partnership with the communities, teachers and families who have been doing this since long before I arrived. It will be not be easy to move the needle for my kids.

But I am ready for the challenge, because I know this is what it takes to create a more equal educational system.

When I become a Teach For America corps member, I'll be joining tens of thousands of people relentlessly striving to make access to opportunity equitable. It's a network of leaders vastly diverse in background and experience and they work across a variety of sectors to create change.

But we are all united around the fundamental belief: a quality education is not a privilege - it's a right. We can fight to ensure all students are able to enjoy that right.

So, as you think about what in the world you're going to do after you leave Miami, think about stepping outside of your comfort zone.

Think and all the opportunities that you can help make available to so many kids. I hope you'll join me in being a part of a movement to create equal opportunities for all.