A$AP Rocky surfs Brick Street crowd

Brick Street Bar hosted music artist A$AP Rocky Wednesday night. Rocky played hits from both his new album and old mix tape. He also crowd surfed and broke up a scuffle.

Billy Rafael, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Brick Street Bar hosted music artist A$AP Rocky Wednesday night. Rocky played hits from both his new album and old mix tape. He also crowd surfed and broke up a scuffle. (Damien Watson | The Miami Student)

Brick Street Bar treated Oxford to an unforgettable concert experience Wednesday bringing in A$AP Rocky to blow the roof off. Rocky has been blowing up recently after releasing his debut album in January and appearing on tracks with hit artists like Drake, Kendrick Lamar and 2 Chainz.

The show featured a mix of songs from Rocky's older mix tape, like the trippy anthem "Peso," and his new album, like the laid-back "Goldie," produced by Hit-Boy. He also mashed together several tracks of other rappers that he appears on, such as Schoolboy Q's "Hands on the Wheel."

Rocky proved to be quite the showman as well. In addition to consistently pumping up the crowd with a call and response chant of "ASAP," he crowd surfed, broke up a little scuffle on the floor and invited a birthday boy on stage for a couple private dances from a few girls hand selected to come on stage as well.

"What made A$AP's concert an experience wasn't just his music, but his stage presence," Miami University first-year Bobby Vlasic said. "He was always engaging with the audience; he could feel when he needed to hype the crowd up and he was just really, really cool with everything."

Joining Rocky for the show was A$AP Ferg, another part of the A$AP Mob, who did some of his own stuff and helped Rocky with a new song they haven't released yet. The crowd received it well, catching on to the hook quickly and cheering along with it.

Rocky closed with his most recent club banger "F**kin' Problems" much to the enjoyment of the crowd, who was clearly waiting for it the entire night. Despite the lack of an encore, fans seemed thoroughly satisfied with the concert, making sure to keep the chant of "ASAP" going for a while after he left the stage.

Miami sophomore Jordan Diamond, who writes for the online music blog Sunset in Rearview, put the concert at the top of his list of favorites.

"It was obvious that people knew A$AP's newer music compared to his old, but he made up for that by having fun with the crowd," Diamond said. "I've been to a good amount of shows and the way A$AP connected with us was crazy compared to other artists. He was there to have a good time and made sure all of us did."

Brick Street still has a full lineup left for the rest of the semester, including up-and-coming hip hop artist Joey Bada$$ April 10, country musician Thomas Rhett April 24 and reggae jam band Rebelution on April 25. For more information visit http://www.brickstreetbar.com.