A Lasting Relationship

Katelyn Finn, For The Miami Student

(HANNAH MILLER | The Miami Student)

Driving in rented station wagons to sporting events and sharing team jerseys is something our current female student athletes know little about. But for the lady 'Hawks of 20 years ago, those inconveniences were common practice.

In October 2009, Miami University's campus welcomed female athletic alumni to commemorate the 20-year anniversary of receiving varsity letters. This special occasion brought together female athletes from decades of Miami's history, as well as the school's current rosters of female student athletes to share their treasured experiences.

The mix of old and new athletes gave the reunion a shared feeling of excitement to share stories and differences that have developed over time. The gathering was an eager response to President David Hodge's creative challenge to plan an event that would engage alumni, bring them back to campus and inspire enthusiasm about university activities.

The idea of a female alumni athletic reunion at Miami was an effort to draw attention to the 20-year anniversary of the federal decision of Title IX and its affects on women's athletics.

Jen Gilbert, associate athletic director and Miami volleyball alumnus, said Title IX was the 1974 federal legislation that stated any public university that receives government funding may not hold prejudice against women's athletic programs, and the financing must be divided evenly between both male and female sports. This legislation not only equated the playing field monetarily, but also established women's sports teams at a varsity level instead of their previous status as club teams.

Although the federal regulation elevated female teams to varsity level in 1974, it was not until 1991 Miami female athletes began receiving tangible varsity letters.

"When I was playing volleyball at Miami, the men received letter jackets and white letters to show their athletic involvement, while the women only received starter jackets," Gilbert said. "We were never given actual letters to show our school spirit."

A special edition to the reunion was the "Panel of Legends." This panel consisted of women athletes from every decade (mostly 1960 to present), to talk about their past collegiate participation and compare their disparities.

Gilbert said the current student athletes were humored to know their athletic predecessors of the 1970s used rented station wagons as forms of transportation to and from competitions.

"It was fun to see the alumni interact with the current athletes and compare stories of their past experiences," Gilbert said. "The reunion produced a common bond that was an excited new development between the generations."

Like Gilbert, senior Maria Leahy enjoyed the company of the alumni.

"I talked with volleyball alumni after our match that weekend," Leahy said. "It was inspiring to  to see all those women come back and support us. It's a lot of fun to catch up with them, especially because our coach has been at Miami for more than 25 years and they have the best stories." 

Senior Kasey Carpenter, a member of the Miami swim team, agreed.

"The reunion was a great way to connect the past and the present of Miami women's athletics," Carpenter said.

Eloiza Domingo-Snyder, director of Office of Diversity Affairs, works alongside the athletic department to market the program's sports teams.

"Miami athletics is definitely cognizant of gender equality in sports," Domingo-Snyder said. "They recognize the differences in terms of needs and competition for men and women."   She views the marketing efforts as a spotlight for equitable resources for the athletics program.  Domingo-Snyder seemed excited about the recognition of female athletes at Miami.

"I was thrilled to see a celebratory recognition of the women's athletics here at Miami," Domingo-Snyder said. "It was exciting to hear about the event taking place on campus; the reunion drew attention to an essential gender issue in athletics."
Gilbert feels Title IX opened the door for women athletes to succeed in a life of sports.

"The installation of Title IX created a brand new culture for women in athletics," Gilbert said. "It allowed women to train with esteemed coaches and qualified facilities — benefits that before Title IX, only men enjoyed."

Gilbert said universities are able to afford the coaches and administrators necessary for athletes to improve their skills.

"It has given women the chance to exercise their competitive passion," Gilbert said. 

Gilbert was happy to see the female alumni athletes receive recognition for their hard work and accomplishments from the past.

"It was nice for the alumni, myself included, to be acknowledged in the athletic world of Miami," Gilbert said.  "It was great to connect the past with the present and see how far women's athletics has come since I was playing (volleyball)."

Senior Maggie Marcum said her relationship with alumni athletes is a bond that has shaped her experience at Miami.

"I do still talk to past alumni, mostly the girls whom I played with since freshman year," Marcum said. "We have formed a bond that not many get to experience. My experience here at Miami as an athlete has been on of the most memorable in my life. I have learned life lessons that I can use for the future. Playing field hockey at Miami has made me the person I am today and I know it will help make me to be successful for the future."

Senior Maria Leahy, a member of the Miami volleyball team, agreed.

"I've learned more about relationships, commitment and perseverance as a female student athlete than in any other experience," Leahy said. "It's invaluable to have such an opportunity and I will always remember how special it was."