A cappella all stars to rock out at Hall

Lisa Reymann, For The Miami Student

The spirit of the holidays is in the air as students and faculty members alike finish up the final week of the first semester. Yet before Miami University's population jets off for winter break to celebrate the season with family and friends, students are offered one more opportunity to get excited for the upcoming holidays. Three student a cappella groups known as the Cheezies, the Misfitz and the Remnants are performing in Hall Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Saturday for the last concert of the semester.

By its very definition, "a cappella" translates to "without instrumental accompaniment." What's unique about this form of musicality is in the way the music is presented. "A Cappella music is so different," Michelle Sander, a member of the Misfitz, said. "We're able to recreate instruments with our voices, and can incorporate so many different sounds to a song. There's something really amazing and beautiful about that."

"The distinction between the groups lies in the personality and dynamics of the groups as well as the way each approach music making and song selection," Cheezies music director Chris Walsh said. All three a cappella groups have prepared selections of both holiday and non-holiday pieces, and some of these pieces will be performed for the first time Saturday night.

Since the fall a cappella concert back in mid-October, the groups have all been hard at work rehearsing and learning the music for this event. The majority of the songs have been arranged by individual group members or inspired by versions from other a cappella groups.

"There's going to be a high level of energy from all three groups and this is [an] event that's just always entertaining," Cheezies members Michael Bearer said

On top of this Saturday's show, all the a cappella groups have many other events and opportunities currently in the works. Plans for new CDs, summer tours and collegiate competitions are being reviewed and finalized, which leaves much to look forward to in the Miami a cappella community.

"An a cappella concert is something everyone should experience at least once," Remnant Josh Carey said. "No matter what your musical background is, everyone can have a lot of fun. Great songs are performed and there are always laughs. It's a nice study break right before finals and just a good end to the semester."

Sander, Bearer and Carey all agree the concert is sure to be the perfect method of stress release before finals week, and is a wonderful opportunity to support fellow students and have a great time enjoying music right before break. Tickets can be bought at the Shriver Box Office or online. Tickets are $5 for students and $7 for adults.