Women's basketball - setting records and taking names

Zach Reichman - The Miami Student
Zach Reichman - The Miami Student

https://youtu.be/equH5kvGuHc

Emily Brustoski | Video Editor

Miami's women's basketball team had quite the week.

Last Wednesday, the RedHawks beat the Toledo Rockets 65-56 to earn their 20th win of the season. Following last year's 21-11 record, Miami earned back-to-back 20-win seasons for the first time since the 1980-81, 1981-82 and 1982-83 seasons.

With their 75-62 win over the Bowling Green Falcons on Saturday afternoon, the RedHawks (21-4, 12-2 Mid-American Conference) maintained sole possession of the No. 1 seed in the MAC and extended their winning streak to 11 games.

This is the longest winning streak since the RedHawks won 12 games in a row during the 2011-12 season.

When the 'Hawks travel to Kent State tomorrow, they will try to tie the record.

The Golden Flashes welcome the RedHawks to the Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center after a narrow 69-67 loss to the No. 2-seeded Ohio.

Kent State's offense ranks eighth in the MAC, two spots behind Miami's, and the offensive contest will manifest itself in a battle between the MAC's No. 7 and No. 8 scorers. Kent State's redshirt junior guard Megan Carter checks in averaging 16.5 points per game, narrowly behind Miami's junior guard Lauren Dickerson, who averages 16.7.

But the contest will likely be decided by each team's defensive performance. Similar to last week's matchup against the MAC's No. 1 defense in the Toledo Rockets, the RedHawks take on the conference's third best defensive unit in Kent State.

"[Defense] is always critical," Dickerson said after Saturday's win. "It's a big part of our culture and our program."

The last time these two teams met on Jan. 26, the RedHawks beat the Golden Flashes 79-63 for their third straight win. Carter had 21 points for Kent State, while Dickerson and junior forward Savannah Kluesner led the RedHawks with 19 points apiece.

Senior forward Kristen Levering finished that game with 15 points, her highest at the time.

Eight RedHawks average 10 minutes or more of playing time, and head coach Megan Duffy often attributes her team's success to big minutes from her bench.

"I think we've talked about our versatility all season," Duffy said after Saturday's victory. "We always say, 'Let's try and execute and if we can't, we'll find something else to make the tweak and adjustment.'"

The RedHawks will try to find that winning "something" tomorrow for the 12th straight game.

SCOUTING REPORT

THE GAME

Tipoff: 7 p.m. Wednesday at M.A.C. Center

TV/Radio: ESPN+/Miami IMG Sports Network

MIAMI REDHAWKS

Record: 21-4 (12-2 Mid-American)

Offense: 68.6 ppg

Defense: 59.4 ppg

PROJECTED LINEUP

Player (position, height, key stat)

Lauren Dickerson (guard, 5'3", 16.7 ppg)

Leah Purvis (guard, 5'6", 8.0 ppg)

Baleigh Reid (guard, 5'10", 3.3 ppg)

Kendall McCoy (forward, 6'0", 12.1 ppg)

Savannah Kluesner (forward, 6'2", 14.2 ppg)

KENT STATE GOLDEN FLASHES

Record: 15-10 (8-6 MAC)

Offense: 66.6 ppg

Defense: 62.0 ppg

PROJECTED LINEUP

Player (position, height, key stat)

Alexa Golden (guard, 5'9", 8.1 ppg)

Ali Poole (guard, 6'0", 9.1 ppg)

Asiah Dingle (guard, 5'4", 12.5 ppg)

Megan Carter (guard, 5'7", 16.5 rpg)

Lindsey Thall (forward, 6'2", 10.1 ppg)

NCAA NET Ranking: Miami (43); Northern Illinois (85)

simansec@miamioh.edu

@EmilySimanskis