Women's basketball head coach Megan Duffy leaves Miami for Marquette

Zach Reichman - The Miami Student
Zach Reichman - The Miami Student

After leading the women's basketball program to back-to-back 20-win seasons for the first time since the 1980s, head coach Megan Duffy accepted a head coaching position at Marquette University, Miami Athletics announced last Wednesday, April 10.

Under Duffy, the RedHawks finished 44-20 overall and 25-11 in Mid-American Conference play. The 'Hawks competed in the semifinals of the MAC Tournament and earned Women's National Invitational Tournament bids.

Duffy was part of a historic turnaround for the women's basketball program. Before her arrival, the RedHawks finished 12-21 and hadn't played in the MAC semifinals in 10 years.

Last year, after amassing a 21-11 overall record, Duffy became one of four first-year head coaches to win 20-plus games, and she was the only woman of that group. She was the second-fastest to 10 wins of any coach in Miami history in their first year, and ranks second in total win improvement.

This year, Duffy and her RedHawks continued to rewrite the record books, as Miami won 11 games throughout the months of January and February. The streak ranks fifth in Miami program history.

"I'm excited about the foundation we have built with our women's basketball program over the past two seasons," Athletic Director David Sayler said in the announcement. "The success our outstanding student-athletes have shown on and off the court makes this a very attractive job."

After two years with the RedHawks, Duffy signed a six-year contract with the Big East school and was introduced in Milwaukee at 3:15 p.m. CT last Wednesday.

"I look forward, similarly to what we did at Miami, to building this and growing together and pushing each other at all different ways to stay at this level," Duffy said.

The Golden Eagles lost their head coach Carolyn Kieger to Penn State on April 3, a week before Duffy's departure.

"Megan is a tremendous fit with the Marquette family and the University's values," Marquette Athletic Director David Scholl said in an announcement. "I have watched her career ascend for several years and have seen her achieve tremendous success at the highest levels as a player and coach. She coaches for the right reasons, utilizing basketball to help develop the women in her program and position them for success, both on and off the court."

Miami Athletics said a national search to replace Duffy will begin immediately. Busy with the search, Sayler could not be reached for comment.

simansec@miamioh.edu

@emilysimanskis