WMU runs over ’Hawks

The Miami University offensive line and Western Michigan University defensive line prepares to face-off in the trenches. The Broncos won the battle most of the day.

Photo by Lauren Olson, Photography Editor

Western Michigan University dominated Miami University Saturday, as the Broncos left Yager Stadium with an easy 41-10 Mid-American Conference win. WMU had over twice as many yards as the RedHawks.

"We couldn't slow them down, really, run or pass," head coach Chuck Martin said. "It didn't really matter what they did. They did a nice job. Bottom line is they outprepared us, outplayed us, outcoached us. They kicked our ass."

The Broncos (6-3, 4-1 MAC) ran for 282 yards, compared to just 87 for Miami (2-8, 2-4 MAC). Most of the damage came from freshman running back Jarvion Franklin. The NCAA leader in carries and touchdowns continued his strong season by racking up 182 yards and three TDs on 29 touches. Martin said Miami tried to stop the run, but to no avail.

"They just kept running the same play over and over again," Martin said. "They ran one play. And we couldn't defend it."

Sophomore quarterback Zach Terrell was also effective for the Broncos. He picked up 61 yards on the ground, and was 18 of 23 for 217 yards and a score through the air.

The RedHawks' offense was as ineffective as the Broncos were effective. The 'Hawks had only 236 yards of total offense, with just 149 of those coming through the air. Fifth-year QB Andrew Hendrix struggled, completing just seven of 19 passes for 96 yards, one touchdown and one interception. He ran for 48 yards, but 40 of those were negated by six sacks.

"It was tough for us all day," Hendrix said. "We knew it was going to be a man-fest. We knew it was going to be one-on-one. That's what they like to do. It was really on the whole offense. When the wide receivers made good plays, I iced the puck. I didn't throw good balls. Sometimes it was a break down at the line of scrimmage with the protections. Really all day we struggled to play the way that we know we can play. That's frustrating for us."

Hendrix missed two plays on Miami's lone scoring drive after going down following a successful fourth-and-one conversion.

"I'm good," Hendrix said. "Took a helmet to the knee. I think it scared me more than anything else … no worries moving forward."

The RedHawks had their chances early to score. Miami had its opening drive stall on fourth down at the WMU 29-yard line. The 'Hawks second drive ended at the Bronco 16-yard line when Hendrix threw an interception in the end zone.

"That was the frustrating part," Martin said. "We had to score. We knew we had to score going in. Those first two drives were the key to the game. If we come away with points … the game doesn't get away with you."

After 10 straight games, Miami gets its first bye of the season next week. The RedHawks have a full two weeks to get over the loss to WMU before they hit the road to face Central Michigan University Nov. 15.

"It was a butt kicking," Martin said. "No ifs, ands or buts about it. No shoulda, woulda, couldas. They got after us. They're smarter and they play harder. So we gotta get smarter and play harder. We gotta get bigger and play more physical."