WMSR to hold charity event for animal shelter

Megan Burness

Puppies, Frisbees, free food and a good cause-the WMSR sponsored Charity Disc Golf Tournament is coming to Oxford noon Saturday, April 26, on Miami University's western campus.

WMSR, Miami's student radio station, in partnership with Lebowski Tees, is bringing back the once-annual Charity Disc Golf tournament, this time to benefit the Butler County Animal Adoption Foundation, a no-kill animal shelter on U.S. Route 27.

WMSR's business manager, sophomore Nick Anderson, along with WMSR Chief Engineer Hunter Olson and Station Manager Hollis Davis, are the main organizers of the event.

According to Anderson, from 1998 to 2004, WMSR sponsored a charity Frisbee golf tournament, benefiting the Oxford chapter of United Way.

This year, WMSR decided to bring the event back, but with a new charity in mind.

"We found the old information on the tournament and thought it was a pretty unique event," Anderson said. "We wanted to make this WMSR's thing again."

The Charity Disc Golf Tournament will be held on the western campus Frisbee golf course and is open to anyone.

"It's much more laid back than regular golf, so you don't have to worry about being really good," Anderson said. "We want everyone to come out and play, no matter what your skill level may be."

Sophomore Paul Duff has already registered for the tournament to play in the advanced division along with his brother, junior Sam Duff.

"My brother and I disc golf all the time and this is going towards a great cause so we are really excited to participate," Duff said.

Duff has encouraged his friends to play in the event, even if they are not advanced.

"Two of the guys that I live with are participating, too," Duff said. "It's going to be a really fun time."

A winner for each division will be declared at the end of the day, with a yet-to-be-determined cash prize and a two-nights stay at The Elms Holiday Inn for the first place winner of the advanced division, according to Anderson.

The beginner division prizes are not yet finalized but a cash prize will be involved as well. Anderson said they currently are waiting on sponsors of the event to provide them with funds before this amount can be determined.

The game will be played in teams of four and will begin with a shotgun start organized by Miami's disc golf club.

According to Anderson, the game is played like regular golf. There are 18 holes and each hole has a par number with a basket for the disc to land in. The holes range from par three to par five. The players throw a disc, trying to get it into the basket. If they miss, they must pick the disc back up where it landed and try again.

Players must bring their own discs, Anderson said.

"Don't worry if you don't have a disc golf disc, a Frisbee works just fine," he said. "And hey, if you don't have one of those either, I'll lend you one of mine."

Each of the 18 holes on the course will be sponsored by a different business in Oxford. A few of the sponsors include The Elms Holiday Inn, BW3s and Oxford Opticians.

However, attendees need not feel the necessity of picking up a Frisbee, as all are welcome Anderson said.

"There will be music, free food, spring weather and puppies," he said. "What more could you ask for?"

Duff, a pre-veterinarian major who also volunteers at the Butler Country Animal Adoption Foundation, is thrilled about the charity chosen for the event.

"I have both a dog and cat that I adopted from an animal shelter so this charity really hits it home for me," Duff said.

The cost to participate is $10 a person for the beginner division and $15 a person for the advanced division. The fee includes a t-shirt and food provided by WMSR.

Payments can be dropped off at WMSR in 221 Williams Hall, or brought to the event.

According to Anderson, there are around 20 people signed up but their goal is to get 50 to 100 participants.

Registration for the event can be done on WMSR's Web site, www.redhawkradio.com and must be done by April 18. There is no limit on how many can sign up or play.