WMSR lays plans for FM switch

Rebecca Zemmelman, For The Miami Student

Miami University's student-run radio station, WMSR, is currently in a transition phase. The goal of the station's executive board is to eventually have their own slot on FM radio.

However, this is a very time-consuming and expensive task, according to Chris Vazquez, programming director of WMSR. There are two routes WMSR could take to achieve its FM goal. The first would be to buy its own frequency, known to cost around a million dollars, said Vazquez

The other option would be to apply through the FCC for an open window on a station; however, windows only open up once every few years, according to Vazquez. This would still be costly as well, said Vazquez.

WMSR has sent in a budget request to the COSMOs, the committee in charge of most media outlets at Miami. Paul Sunderhaus, the General Manager of WMSR said he believes that even if the budget is approved, they will most likely still not have enough money to be on FM radio. He said they are practical about where the university lies right now in terms of priorities and expenses.

In the meantime, WMSR will attempt to become a more professional-sounding radio station, according to Sunderhaus. Only the DJs with years of experience will be able to have talk shows or specialty shows, whereas the newer DJs will only host music shows with a small amount of commentary in between the songs, Sunderhaus said.

"We are doing as much as we can internally, Vazquez said. "We are becoming as professional as possible using DJs with more experience. If we ever get this opportunity to be on FM radio, we will be prepared."

Having a station on FM radio has been a goal of WMSR for the past few years, Sunderhaus said.The problem that exists every year is when the executive board transitions, they take with them their plans, according to Sunderhaus.

Sunderhaus said his goal for a potential FM station is "to make a schedule that is more cohesive. If you were flipping for radio channels you would be able to tell which was the college radio station and what to expect at each hour."

However, as a graduating senior, Sunderhaus' current development to the station is leading the task of having WMSR apps for the IPhone and other phones as well as making their website more "phone browser friendly."

The station also just had a renovation of their studio, said Sunderhaus.

The goal of ending up on FM may be way down the road. It will take some luck and fundraising but it is possible. In the meantime, the WMSR executive board and team are planning for the potential, according to Sunderhaus.

Miami sophomore Abby Rentschler says she has only listened to WMSR a few times. "I am not as much of an avid listener because the station is not as available to me. If I could listen to it in my car, or on a pre-set station in my room, I would always listen! I hope they can get it approved."