Unlocked door leaves student victim to laptop theft

Caroline Briggs

Miami student, faculty and staff received an e-mail concerning the academic year's 12th Campus Crime Alert at around 10 a.m. Thursday concerning a burglary of a laptop computer from a residence hall room.

First-year David Bruggemann called Miami University Police Department (MUPD) at almost 10:30 p.m. Wednesday evening, reporting that the MacBook laptop computer he left in his unlocked residence hall room had been stolen.

According to the report, Bruggemann left his room at McFarland Hall at 5:30 p.m., and when he returned at 9:15 p.m., the laptop was gone. The report also states that the laptop belonged to Miami's Information Technology (IT) Services, which had loaned Bruggemann the Apple computer while his was being repaired.

Bruggemann said he was frustrated by the incident since he had a test the day after it happened and his studying was interrupted. He did say that he felt fortunate that it was not his personal computer.

"I was really fortunate," Bruggemann said. "I didn't lose my papers and documents. (In the future) I'll be putting my computer away somewhere safe and lock the door."

Bruggemann said the computer was lent to him by IT, and the stolen computer had a Miami University sticker on the inside. Other valuable possessions in the room lay untouched; Bruggemann said the theft must have been quick.

Police also reportedly interviewed Bruggemann's roommate, who said he was not home during the hours the computer could have been taken.

MUPD's Sgt. Ben Spilman said the case is under investigation, but said the nature of the burglary poses difficulties for follow up.

"Of course it is easy to lock doors and secure property," Spilman said. "But it's also easy to forget."

Spilman also said the burglary of an inhabited space is a felony in the Ohio Revised Code, with degrees varying from forth to second. Spilman said the range of legal consequences usually concerns what is taken from the residence and how valuable it is.

With 10 Campus Crime Alerts concerning numerous burglaries this academic year, Spilman encouraged caution for students and their personal electronics. He cited laptop locks, if used properly, are effective deterrents for burglars stealing them from a residence.

"(Laptop locks) can be defeated, but if it takes more time to grab, that may keep things from being taken," Spilman said. "People who are taking from dorm rooms like this are looking for something quick and easy."