University libraries enhance texting option to aid students

Ron DeGuerre

Miami University Libraries has upgraded its texting services to provide students with better help while researching.

After revamping the Miami library Web site, technicians have also updated the texting service so that students can store a telephone number into their phones for quick and convenient access to librarians on campus.

The number is (513) 593-9114.

The updated texting service is only two weeks old and is still considered to be in its pilot stage, according to Kwabena Sekyere, an information service librarian and assistant librarian at King Library.

"Recently we have installed an AIM software hooked into a Google voice to create a storable number," Sekyere said. "Now students can have a number in their phone to use as a normal phone number to text questions to librarians."

The university library Web site was reconfigured for the ease of the administration and to implement new social networking technologies for students.

The texting and instant messaging services have been popular for students who struggle to find sources for research purposes since its introduction in 2007.

While this social network software is supposed to be used for questions with short answers such as where to find a certain book, students seem to use it for more extensive purposes, according to Lindsay Miller, a first-year experience librarian.

"When I've had trouble finding sources for my research questions I always IM a librarian," senior international studies major Michael Stone said. "They're quick and reliable when I'm in need of research tools fast."

While texting and instant messaging are popular, the best way to get in-depth research help is from talking with librarians face to face, Miller said. She went on to explain that librarians are available for research questions in all libraries: science, music, art and King.

"If a student needs to do extensive research with a librarian the best way to do so is by setting up a consultation," Miller said. "A student can do so by filling out a form online and most likely, a librarian will contact you that day."

King Library is the only library where there will be a certified librarian answering research questions while others have student employees at their desk. All librarians have master's degrees and some have doctorates, according to Miller.

"All librarians, to be called librarians, have to have a master's degree in library information science," Miller said. "So that's anywhere from a one to two-year program."

Whether a student is looking for an answer to an English question or a zoology question, there is a Miami librarian in that specific field that can help them with their research Miller explained.

There are five different ways students can contact librarians for assistance. They can instant message, text their question to (513) 593-9114, e-mail (24 hours), talk in person or call.