University deserves credit for upgrading lock system

In the past week we have commemorated two tragedies that have shaped this generation's ethos and continue to serve as a reminder of the transience of life. Two years ago - April 16, a senior at Virginia Tech killed 27 students and five faculty members and wounded 17 others. In honor of those lost, the university cancelled classes for a "Day of Remembrance." Monday marked the 10th anniversary of the massacre at Columbine High School, which left 12 students and their teacher dead and 23 others wounded. With these events in mind, Miami University has been implementing measures to improve safety on campus. The editorial board of The Miami Student appreciates the university's plan to upgrade the door-locking system planned for the new Farmer School of Business and existing buildings.

While improving the locks is a small change, it is a significant measure. Of course, locks can't prevent the outbreak of a violent incident. However, they will do a lot to stop the spread of violence. Just being able to lock a room from the inside could save lives. Even though such a security system can't be implemented in buildings like the Shriver Center, it is a good start to concentrate on highly populated areas like academic buildings. We recognize the fear professors may use the system to lock tardy students out. But still, the concern for safety trumps this more trivial worry. Some professors already have attendance policies recommending students to not come at all if they're going to be late. The solution is to either talk with professors to resolve the issue or simply to not be late.

We applaud the university's attention to student safety. Miami has been at the forefront in responding to such concerns. The quick installation of the emergency text message system and the new door-locking system are small measures that improve safety without inconveniencing students. Even if the system never has to be used, its existence alone serves as a comfort to students. Our generation grew up with an awareness of the possibility of school shootings. We entered high school after the massacre at Columbine, and we were enrolled in or just about to enter college at the time of the killings at Virginia Tech. The impact of watching the events unfold can't be over emphasized. For those who will have yet to enter high school or college, the security measures may seem inexplicable, despite seeming so obvious to us. To this generation, school shootings are an experienced reality. We appreciate the effort to prevent a repeat of that reality.