U. Senate approves new Chinese education major

Catherine Couretas

At the university senate meeting Feb. 11, proposals for new majors in Chinese education and criminal justice were approved for the 2008-09 school year.

The Bachelor of Science in Chinese education joins the current programs in German, Spanish, French and Latin education, which will certify students to teach Chinese to grades K-12.

"This is, as far as we can tell, the only program of its kind in Ohio," said Phyllis Mendenhall, department adviser of teacher education.

Currently, the program does not have as many literature courses as other language education programs do, but they will be developed. This means that two electives will be in Chinese translation, according to Mendenhall.

A study abroad in China is required in this major, and must be completed in addition to student teaching-which may also be completed abroad.

"If a student chooses to student teach abroad, they would teach at an American school in China," Mendenhall said.

Mendenhall added that there may be difficulties in finding a local school where a student would be able to complete his or her student teaching, as few area schools offer Chinese.

"If we have to send students to Chicago to student teach, then we'll find a way to do that," Mendenhall said.

Talawanda Schools, among others, are looking to implement a Chinese language program, and the Chinese education major at Miami may be able to provide Talawanda that opportunity.

The department estimates they will have 30 to 40 students in the program within the next few years, and that some will have the opportunity to work with Talawanda schools in developing their Chinese language program.

In addition to the Chinese education major to be offered, students will be able to earn an associate degree in criminal justice at Miami's Hamilton and Middletown campuses.

"The program has been by request of local law enforcement agencies," said Ryan Barilleaux, political science chair and professor.

Barilleaux added that there is already a waiting list of students wanting to get into the program, specifically 96 students, according to Daniel Hall, dean of Miami Hamilton.

"Students can go into law enforcement, become a corrections officer or transfer over to a four-year program in psychology, criminal justice, sociology or political science," said Alana Van Gundy-Yoder, visiting assistant professor of political science at Miami's Hamilton campus. "This program isn't tailored for just one degree."

Currently, there are two chiefs of police, two judges, and a captain of Miami police teaching courses at the regional campuses, in addition to at least seven part-time and one full-time faculty.

There is a plan to hire another full-time faculty member as the program grows, according to Hall. Hamilton currently runs on a 60/40 program, in which 60 percent of the teaching staff is full-time, and 40 percent part-time faculty, and the school would like to adhere to this ratio.

Both the criminal justice major and Chinese education major will be added to the next edition of the Miami Bulletin, out next year.