Two arrests made in relation to area break-ins

<p>Police are investigating swastikas and antisemitic posters found in the Miami University&#x27;s campus.</p>

Police are investigating swastikas and antisemitic posters found in the Miami University's campus.

The Oxford Police Department (OPD) is one step closer to solving the break-in problem many students fell victim to in the fall and winter months.

After a high number of burglary and attempted burglary reports - an estimated $30,000 of student property was stolen in the fall - Oxford Police Department (OPD) said they started a concentrated investigation.

Last week, two people were arrested for a string of burglaries, mostly centered on Miami student residences since early December.

According to OPD, Sierra Briscoe, 19, of Hamilton, and Forrest J. Hagedorn, 22, of Verona, Ky., are being held in Butler County Jail on burglary charges. They are not affiliated with Miami University.

"Detectives identified two suspects and questioning led to information that they were responsible for numerous burglaries in the OPD Sgt. Jon Varley said.

Both were charged with one count as of Monday, but more charges may be added as more victims identify their property.

"The investigation is ongoing and we do expect more charges," he said.

According to Associated Student Government (ASG) Secretary for off-campus affairs, Kevin Krumpak, police are currently calling students to retrieve their items.

Students are encouraged to stop in Uptown at the station about anything missing.

As long as the student is able to identify the item and prove he or she is the rightful owner, OPD will be happy to get the belongings back to the owner.

Property recovered in the investigation was found as a result of search warrants, and many of the items were also recovered at pawn shops, which was expected by the detectives covering the case.

"We typically contact pawn shops in the surrounding areas," Varley said.

"If any missing personal items turn up we can usually track that person down through security footage."

For now, students can rest easy knowing police have taken action.

"I am relieved to hear that something has been done," senior Cassie Priebe said. "One of my close friend's home was broken into in the fall and it's only right that the people responsible are punished."

Varley still urges all students living off-campus to keep their doors and windows locked, as he suspects there are additional people who could be responsible for the area break-ins.