Two alumni try for vacant Boehner seat in Ohio district

By Abigail Kelly, For The Miami Student

When voters go to the polls for the primary election on March 15, they will also have to choose one of the 17 candidates running to represent Ohio's eighth district in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Two Miami University alumni, Sen. Bill Beagle and Rep. Tim Derickson, are hoping to complete the term for former Speaker of the House, John Boehner.

According to Beagle, having the elections coincide is beneficial.

"It is getting people engaged in the political process more than they would," Beagle said.

No matter the outcome next week, both candidates' campaigns will remain active, as the official elected Tuesday is only guaranteed the seat through the end of 2016.

The current term will end and a new one will begin in November, meaning the congressional seat will be on the ballot twice - once to finish the term through 2016 and the other for the 2017-2018 term.

If a different candidate wins the election in June, that person will serve the next full term.

Both candidates have children who are currently attending Miami, junior Matt Derickson and senior Morgan Beagle. Derickson said he thinks his father's campaign has resonated well with the public.

"He has set a great foundation for his campaign and I feel as though it is all-positive and focuses on the positives rather than attacking his opponents. I think that sticks out to the public," said Matt.

Morgan also noted the positive response her father's campaign has received.

"People who have had the opportunity to work with or meet my dad recognize the sincerity with which he serves, how hard he works and how much he cares about people and making a positive difference," said Morgan.

Senator Beagle said he takes pride in the fact that, while most of his opponent's campaigns are funded out of Washington, his campaign has been primarily funded locally.

"I think that just indicates that people are getting behind my candidacy and they want someone who has both business experience and policy experience," Beagle said.

The major issues discussed during this election cycle have included the economy, job creation and national security. With 15 republicans, one democrat and one green party candidate, the policies and opinions presented have been widespread.

As a business owner and a policy maker, Senator Beagle said he believes his professional experiences could contribute to the bolstering of the economy.

"We need a balanced budget, we need to reduce the national debt and lower taxes," Beagle said. "We have been able to keep a balanced budget in Ohio and we have had to do tough decision-making and that is what is going to be required on a federal level."

Beagle said he sees a need for major change in Washington.

"People are saying Washington is broken," said Beagle. "[We] need to send someone there to fix it."