Turner's article childish

Rick Ohl, ohlry@muohio.edu

I'm writing regarding the Sept. 20 article "Sidewalk etiquette 101." To me, this article shows exceptionally poor taste and exceptionally bad journalism. The author's use of pejorative terms such as "jerk-off," "prego" and "uggo" make me not want to take this piece seriously, but the comments that she proceeds to make cannot be ignored.

First off, the vitriol displayed in this article is childish and unprofessional. It's one thing to state your opinion, but quite another to insult your audience. I am unsure if this is an attempt to be humorous, but it certainly did not strike me as such. It just sounds like she considers her fellow students to be stupid.

More disturbing than these off-putting digs is the section of the article in which the author offers her opinion of pregnant women on the sidewalks. She refers to these women as "uggos" and "bloated sex maniacs." This is absolutely appalling. As a son, uncle and relatively soon to be father, I am personally offended by these remarks. Pregnant women and all special needs people have the same rights to the sidewalk that everyone else does. Is it so much to ask that you walk around someone who's carrying their child and trying to work or go to school? Furthermore, is it truly necessary to call them ugly in the process? Also, referring that all pregnant women are sex maniacs is just so inappropriate, one wonders where to begin. If this was an attempt at humor, it sorely missed the mark. I think an apology is warranted for these remarks. This type of article only takes away from any quality reporting done by The Miami Student staff.