Training for foster parents increases

Betsy King

The Ohio Senate voted 31-0 Feb. 5 to pass new legislation that will require foster parents to complete 36 hours of training instead of the previous 24.

In addition to the increase in required hours, all personal information about the foster parents or potential foster parents will be kept private as long as they are not charged with any crimes. Previously, these records were not kept private, but by making them confidential, this could increase the number of potential foster parents.

In August 2006, 3-year-old Marcus Fiesel died when his foster parents left him tied and bound in a closet while they attended a family reunion in another state.

Representative Jeff Wagner (R-Sycamore) played a significant role in the creation of the bill and helped sponsor it.

"After the unfortunate death of the young boy, we realized that there were flaws in the system that could not be ignored," Wagner said. "It was that act of violence that motivated the Ohio Senate to create the legislation that would fix these weaknesses."

He went on to explain how the training would involve more collaboration and advice from one foster parent to another.

"Foster parents can help out one another on a more personal level by sharing their personal experiences and how they work through certain issues," Wagner said. "Therefore, a significant portion of the 36 hour training period will be designated for foster parents to coach those who are in training."

This 36 hour training requirement has already been in affect in Clark County, which includes Springfield, Ohio, according to Clark County Family and Children Service Division Deputy Director Cathy Appel.

"It is great that this legislation is making the 36 hour requirement official for everybody, but it won't solve every problem," she said. "We are placing children who have had issues from a very young age, and while we would like to have prospective foster parents be as well trained as possible, it's a continuous learning process for them."

Miami University sophomore Lauren Meyer feels that this legislation is a positive decision.

"It's definitely a good thing that this legislation was passed," she said. "It's important that foster parents receive the best training available so that the kids they take in will have good lives."

Now that the legislation has been voted on and has passed through the House of Representatives and the Senate the only thing left is for Ohio Governor Ted Strickland to sign it and give his approval.

Wagner said that this is expected to happen sometime soon, and once it does, the new changes can be put into effect.