Three 6 Mafia returns to Brick Street for GBD

Lauren Kiggins, For The Miami Student

Brick Street Bar and Grill is hosting Academy Award-winning rap group Three 6 Mafia 2 p.m. Thursday to mark the halfway point of Green Beer Day (GBD) celebrations.

GBD has been a tradition in Oxford since 1952, celebrated annually on the Thursday before Spring Break.

Brick Street has added to the tradition by booking annual concerts on GBD.

The bar initially invited artists to help with slow periods throughout the day, trying to catch bands passing through Ohio on tour.

The Ying Yang Twins performed last year and remained uptown after their performance to celebrate, according to Brick Street employee David Coffey.

"It's cool to be able to see a famous artist come to Miami to mix things up a little bit from the usual party and bar hopping," Miami University first-year Duncan Walsh said.

Three 6 Mafia performed at Brick Street for the first time in March 2010.

"The whole atmosphere of Green Beer Day is fun and drinking," Brick Street employee and Miami junior Kristi Lanman said. "You want to bring in a group that wants to influence that."

Brick Street will open 5 a.m. Thursday morning and will remain open until 2:30 a.m. Friday.

"It's hard to find people that want to work because it is such a long, hectic day," Lanman said.

"Usually we don't have many problems, except for the few people that didn't pace themselves and had one too many beer," Coffey said. He has worked Brick on GBD for the past five years.

Four years since their last album, Last 2 Walk, the Memphis-based group is expected to drop their new album later this year. They will follow the performances of Mike Stud and Kelley James.

Tickets are $25 and are available online at brickstreetbar.com and at Brick Street.