Theta Chi suspended: Fraternity hosted, first-year hospitalized

This story has been updated to reflect additional information.

Miami University's chapter of fraternity Theta Chi was temporarily suspended by Dean of Students Kimberly Moore on Thursday, Jan. 31 following a general conduct report received by Moore and the Office of Community Standards (formerly known as OESCR).

In the report, Theta Chi's chapter president, sophomore Jaret Beechy, said a first-year student (whose name was redacted) was out drinking with members of Theta Chi at an off-campus annex house that he knew around 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 27.

Beechy said that some of the Theta Chi brothers dropped the first-year off at his residence hall. The student was "transported after drinking" to McCullough-Hyde Memorial hospital after he was found unconscious in his dorm, even though that was the night before fraternity recruitment started and fraternity members were not supposed to be out with potential new members (PNMs).

The Student reached out to Beechy but he did not respond for comment.

MUPD responded to the scene at the residence hall and a report was filed through the Office of Residence Life, according to the report.

In the MUPD case report Officer D.A. Young wrote that he found the student "passed out on the counter-top" of the men's first floor bathroom in Tappan Hall. Young was unable to check the first-year's blood alcohol content because he could not wake him up. Young requested the Oxford Life Squad who then transported the student to McCullough-Hyde.

Moore made the decision to summarily suspend Theta Chi after reviewing the initial general conduct report and having a hearing with chapter representatives, including Beechy, and members of Theta Chi's national organization.

"A summary suspension is always an assessment of if there's a danger to an individual or group that's present to a point [where there is] a risk to allow the organization to continue operating," Moore said.

Ben Hill, chief communications officer for the Theta Chi Fraternity's International Headquarters (Nationals), wrote in a statement to The Student that, "fraternity staff members are currently investigating and remain in contact with Miami University administrators," following Moore's decision to place the chapter on interim suspension.

Theta Chi will remain under suspension while the Director of Community Standards, Ann James, is actively investigating the organization.

The chapter is prohibited from participating in fraternity or sorority activities and cannot host social events, new member meetings, chapter or other organization-wide events while Community Standards conducts its investigation.

The suspension does not mean Theta Chi is removed from campus or that necessarily will be.

Moore will determine if the fraternity's continued presence on campus "endangers themselves, others or property," after reviewing the results of the investigation, according to the Student Code of Conduct.

Before Moore suspended Theta Chi last Thursday, the fraternity offered bids to several PNMs who initially accepted the invitation to join the chapter.

Interfraternity Council president and junior Grant Zehnder sent an email to the PNMs who were extended bids to join Theta Chi, informing them of the suspension and offering them an out, James said.

"Those who received a bid from Theta Chi were given the opportunity to receive a bid from another chapter if they so decided," Zehnder wrote in an email to The Student. "With any organization, if members are initiated and the chapter is removed from campus, the national headquarters work with the current members to determine their status moving forward."

"Those who violate our policies will be brought through our judicial process," Zehnder added. "I do not have all the information regarding this case but I'm confident the university is taking the necessary steps to investigate the organization."

doyleca3@miamioh.edu