The Top 10 Animated Holiday Specials

The hap-happiest season of all is here. So what better time than now to list the top 10 holiday movies?

This list includes animated movies/specials only. That includes claymation, stop-motion animation, CGI and everything, but live-action. So, that means no "Home Alone," "Elf," "A Christmas Story" or "It's A Wonderful Life." Those are better left for a different list.

The ranking system is completely arbitrary. There is a heavy emphasis on old-school flicks. A musical number, or numbers, also helps. Be warned: you'll be surprised by my No. 1. If you don't like it, well ... deal with it.

Finally, there might be a few spoilers below. You've been warned.

Honorable Mention: Eight Crazy Nights

10. Jack Frost

Rankin/Bass productions

It's one of the more underrated holiday movies.

When to watch it:

It's not on Netflix, and TV Guide doesn't have any listings for it, but the whole film is on YouTube.

9. The Polar Express

Although it might not seem like it now, the film was quite an ambitious project. The budget was $165 million, a record at the time.

When to watch it:

- 7:05 p.m. Friday, Dec. 19 on the Disney Channel - 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 20 on the Disney Channel - 10 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 21 on ABC Family - 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 23 on ABC Family - 3 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 24 on ABC Family

8. The Nightmare Before Christmas

well-reviewed

When to watch it:

- TV Guide didn't have any listings, but it is available on Netflix.

7. Mickey's Christmas Carol

And yes, I know that wasn't in the Christmas Carol. But it allowed me to embed this ...

... so let me have my fun!

When to watch it:

11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 19 on ABC Family 7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 22 on ABC Family 7 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 24 on ABC Family 9 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 25 on ABC Family

6. Frosty The Snowman

The film's success resulted in several of spin-offs/sequels: "Frosty's Winter Wonderland," "Rudolph's and Frosty's Winter in July" and some others I don't want to talk about. While you could argue more than one Frosty special is worthy of a top 10 spot, I didn't want Rudolph and Frosty taking up too many spots. It's all arbitrary, remember?

When to watch it:

- TV Guide says there are no more chances to see it on TV sadly.

5. A Charlie Brown Christmas

It's buoyed by strong music from the Vince Guaraldi Trio. The sequel, "I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown" isn't bad, but it just doesn't matchup with the original.

When to watch it:

- No more chances to see it on TV, but you can find it online.

4. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town

Oh, and Fred Astaire.

When to watch it:

- 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 17 on ABC Family - 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 21 on ABC Family - 6:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 22 on ABC Family - 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 25 on ABC Family

3. How The Grinch Stole Christmas

As for the 2000 live action version, let's just agree the animated version is vastly superior.

When to watch it:

- 9 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 21 on Cartoon Network - 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 25 on ABC

2. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer

Rudolph also appeared in "Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July" and "Rudolph's Shiny New Year." I'm a big fan of "Rudolph's Shiny New Year," but Rudolph couldn't hog all the spotlight. And if it weren't for my No. 1 selection, he'd easily take the top spot.

When to watch it:

- No more chances to see it on TV.

1. The Year Without A Santa Claus

No, not the 2008 abomination of a spin-off. I don't want to talk about that. I'm talking about the original duo in the 1974 film. Without the Miser Brothers, the flick probably doesn't crack the top five. But they make the whole movie for me. The Miser Brothers are just too much for the rest of the contenders.

When to watch it:

11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 20 on ABC Family 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 21 on ABC Family 3 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 25 on ABC Family