The 10 best places to man-hunt

Sylvie Turner, For The Miami Student

As the Oxford sun slowly starts to peak its head out from a cold winter, so do pick up games of lacrosse, touch football and Frisbee. Behind all of these games, of course, are men. Be it fraternity brothers or those hard-to-get unaffiliated men, they can be seen all throughout campus showing off their "skills" for the women of Miami University. So have no fear, ladies. Now that winter has finally come to an end, finding men is no longer limited to dark corners of bars and sticky frat houses.

Recently, author Tristan Coopersmith named the 10 most unusual places to find a man. The witty author guides misdirected women to male hot spots where most females would never think twice about "man-hunting."

Coopersmith's list

1. Driving range: Though it didn't end up working for Tiger Woods' wife, the driving range is the perfect place to find the wealthy businessman we all
secretly desire.

2. Vegas!: What happens in Vegas does not always stay in Vegas … perhaps you can snag a future boyfriend at the blackjack table and take him home with you!

3. Sunday brunch hotspots: You may not look your best on a Sunday morning, but everyone needs their coffee and eggs to recuperate, especially the men who are too lazy to make their own pot of coffee.

4. Beer Festivals: Men love beer. Period.

5. Record stores: Even with iTunes and the Internet, record stores do still exist. Stop in one and you're likely to find the artsy, chill hottie you've been searching for.

6. Public transportation: Picture this: it suddenly starts raining and you are stuck without an umbrella, and a new dress on. You are forced to take cover in a cramped bus stop shelter. Once inside you find a plethora of men who were also forced to step inside to save their Armani suits, and probably a homeless man. Ignore that one and make small talk about the weather.

7. Men's clothing stores: Finally a place where you can be in control. Come to the aid of a misguided male shopper while picking out a nice tie for crazy
Uncle Dave.

8. Errand running: Everyone has errands. Next time you step out to mail a letter or grocery shop, try looking a little nicer than you normally would (translation: no pajamas and fuzzy
bunny slippers).

9. Auto show: Cars, women in bikinis and probably more beer. Obviously a man shopping field day.

10. Co-ed barber shops on a weekend morning: Random barbershops catering to both men and women are popping up all over. Impress the shaggy men with your low maintenance attitude by skipping the pricey haircut.

Miami's list

1. Hueston Woods State Park Golf Course: Now that spring has sprung in Oxford why not grab a few of your girlfriends and drive to Hueston Woods? Golfing is a sport many men don't think women would be nearly interested in, so showing up on a Saturday morning to hit a few rounds with the ladies is a BIG eye-catcher. Beware, though, because a horrible golfer is still a horrible golfer even if he or she is breathtakingly beautiful. If that's the case, go the route of snagging a hottie
golf instructor.

2. Oxvegas!: Can't say that Oxford is full of casinos but Coopersmith's big to-do on the spot was to show the men who's boss. She suggests skipping the slots or roulette tables for something worth a bit more — blackjack or craps. Basically, make men want your independence and confidence. Our suggestion: trying taking the guy's job at a bar. Go up to him first. Maybe buy HIM the drink. But please, don't be creepy.

3. Patterson's, Morning Sun Café: Everyone loves rolling out of bed (be it yours or someone else's) and meeting their friends for breakfast to tell of the evening tales. I realize (from personal experience) that mornings are not when you look the most attractive, but win over that cute guy standing in line for a table with your oozing charm and charisma, and he will get over the rat's nest on top of your head.

4. Front yard of a frat on a Saturday afternoon: Now that Green Beer Day is over, we can look forward to what some call "Fraturdays:" warm Saturday afternoons spent standing in the front yard of a house, drinking or what have you. This is where you will find the greatest number of manidates (man candidates). 

5. Dubois Book Store: School supplies? Overly priced textbooks? Miami spirit wear? All are necessities as students, so why not stop in and try and find a man? Linger in the men's clothing section (finding something to take home to your little brother, wink wink) and perhaps you will meet your next boyfriend. Don't stop with clothing though, maybe ask for a little help grabbing a book from one of the high shelves, if you get my drift.

6. Miami Metro: As spring rolls into Oxford, the buses are looking a little less crowded, but do not fret. Many lazy students still use the free transportation that our campus offers to stray from showing up to class sweaty. Try being courageous and sitting next to a stranger and making conversation. You'll seem and confidant and potentially make find your spring fling as school comes to an end.

7. Karisma: If you are looking for your typical fraternity member, complete with a Vineyard Vines pullover and Sperrys, then you're likely to find a few boys wandering in Karisma. Make it your duty as a female to casually assist them in finding the perfect tie for their formal this year and maybe you will end up as their date.

8. Kroger: Do the week's shopping a little later at night and you will surely run in to men wandering the frozen and prepared food sections. Look more presentable than the usual gear for the supermarket. Try and ditch the scrunchy and oversized sweatshirts we all love.

9. Ditmer Parking Lot: We all hate it; walking who knows how many miles to the parking lot then forgetting where we parked our car four months ago. In your search for your missing vehicle, maybe compliment a passing gentleman on his car. If you do know where your car is but don't want the hassle of walking all the way to the other side of the lot, ask a male driver for a ride.

10. Great Clips: Even if they don't like admitting it, men get their hair cut too. So why not stray from Luna Blu one day and try a cheaper cut? This is where you will find the men rather than a girly salon. Once there, guys will most likely be impressed with your low maintenance attitude and since you're most likely to be one of the only females there, you'll have all the attention.