Talawanda may see lack of state funds

Vince Alexander

The Talawanda School District could see its funding decrease in with Gov. Ted Strickland's proposed education reforms released Feb. 2.

According to Gov. Strickland's proposals, the Talawanda School District's funding will remain flat in 2010, and then receive 2 percent less funding in 2011.

Other schools in the area, such as Hamilton City Schools, will see their funding increase under the new plan. Hamilton stands to gain $1.5 million in 2010 and more than $2 million in 2011.

"A number of factors go into determining the amount of funding different school districts receive-it is based on a new formula," Keith Dailey Gov. Strickland's spokesperson said.

Strickland's total plan includes providing $321.5 million in funding in 2010, and $603.5 million in 2011. The plan will assess the amount it costs to educate each student, looking at the numbers of teachers, buildings and technology required by the district.

Dailey said the state will also study factors such as student enrollment, and unique needs required by student in gifted or special education programs, in order to determine funding.

Dailey said the Ohio Instructional Quality Index (IQ index) is also used to determine a significant portion of funding.

"Factors such as student poverty rates, community wealth and college attainment rate of the population over 25 are all factors used in the IQ index to determine the amount of funding each district receives," Dailey said.

According to Dailey all of these factors are then plugged into a new formula to determine the exact amount of funding.

Mike Davis, chief financial officer for the Talawanda School District, said there is some excitement regarding some of the proposed changes regarding curriculum, but the district is remaining cautiously optimistic regarding the funding.

"The proposal is very complex and due to the fact that Talawanda is currently on the state guarantee, it does not appear that we will see any changes to our funding over the next two years," Davis said.

Dailey said the goal of the proposal is to reform Ohio's education system to ensure that all students learn what is necessary for the 21st century.

"By defining what our students need to be successful in turn drives the funding that will follow the students through the education system," Dailey said.