Swing Hall reopens, students move in after June fire

By Emily Williams, Assistant News Editor

Students have moved into Swing Hall after the completion of building repairs that followed a fire in June. The fire, whose cause is still under investigation by the state, had left the building's roof partially collapsed in the hall's north wing.

Claire Wagner, communications director, said Miami began restorations on the hall immediately following the incident.

"Architects, engineers and a construction manager worked to determine how to repair the roof, remediate the smoke and water damage, and repair and restore the building to its full function," Wagner said.

The Oxford Fire Department was able to quickly quell the flames and contacted Ross Township, Fairfield and Oxford Township for additional help since the summer temperatures had posed a safety concern for those exposed to the intense heat.

On the day of the fire, June 15, the building was unoccupied, and no one was injured.

The concrete floor of the building's attic contained the flames and prevented the fire from reaching any student rooms or other living areas in the building.

The building's photoelectric heat and smoke sensors also aided in preventing further damage, Wagner said, as they are able to alert Oxford's fire department several minutes faster than traditional smoke alarms.

Repairs to the residence hall have included drying the building and removing and replacing the damaged roofing over the north wing as well as any water-damaged ceilings, walls or flooring. Damaged lighting, electrical wiring, plumbing and heating equipment were also removed and replaced. The heating and smoke detecting systems were also replaced in the affected wing and several new mattresses and window treatments were purchased.

Even areas of the building that were not affected by the fire were treated for smoke damage and underwent extensive cleaning by Miami's maintenance staff, Wagner said.

"We are pleased that the fire caused no lasting problems, and even provided an opportunity to update some systems," Wagner said.

The State Fire Marshall is still investigating the cause and origin of the fire. According to Wagner, construction workers were repairing copper gutters in a corner of the building just moments before the fire was detected.

Lindsey Burnworth, public information officer for the State Fire Marshall's office, confirmed that criminal activity does not appear to have been involved in the incident.