Students sign for unfinished housing

Despite a series of delayed construction deadlines, Red Brick Property Management President Matt Rodbro says he is confident the apartments where Wendy's used to sit will be completed by fall 2009.

Jillian Engel

Housing-the one word that makes every Miami University student cringe.

Because of the recent history of construction delays, students are growing more concerned of their precarious off-campus move-in dates.

Construction and code issues have delayed move-in to the Lofts at Bella Place this fall. In 2007, move-in to the apartments in Stewart Square was delayed until late September.

However, Matt Rodbro, the president of Red Brick Property Management, said he has no concerns apartments will be ready for move-in next fall.

Red Brick Property Management has already leased all the apartments that will be constructed above the recently demolished Wendy's.

Rodbro said he is confident the project will not face construction complications because of the close working relationship the owners, architect and contractor have maintained with the city of Oxford.

"(The owners, architect and contractor) have regularly scheduled meetings to discuss the progress of the project," Rodbro said via e-mail. "The city has been extremely helpful and easy to work with. The recent support and assistance that they have provided is first rate."

Brian Lacon, project manager for Miller Valentine, said construction delays can be caused by unforeseen, unwanted conditions or municipality permits.

"Nobody ever wants things to go wrong but construction is an imperfect science," Lacon said. "There are always challenges on every project and it's the relationship of the team that makes those challenges a greater problem or new successes."

Although ground had not been broken for the apartments that will replace Wendy's, Red Brick Property Management still went ahead with the lease signing process in September and filled every unit. According to Rodbro, this process was routine.

"Leases have always been signed in September for the following year," Rodbro said. "It (has been like that since) I was a Miami student in 1993."

In 2006, the move-in date for the lofts at Stewart Square was delayed, according to Pam Lindley, manager of Hotel Development Services, LLC.

Twelve of the 15 available apartments had leases signed during the 2005-2006 school year and students were set to move in Aug. 18, 2006. But after a delivery of imported granite countertops was stalled more than a month past the Aug. 1 finishing date, students did not move in until Sept. 29, according to Lindley.

"There is no doubt students are who are most inconvenienced by the delays," Lindley said via e-mail. "But there is no landlord who would enjoy being in the situation of having rented a space which wasn't ready for occupancy on the promised date."Lindley said that after having been through a strenuous delay, she has great empathy for the real estate agencies and their tenants with projects uptown that have been delayed.

In case of delays, Lindley said all parties involved should "try to remain professional and extremely patient."

Students who have signed leases for the new apartments where Wendy's was, said they know it is a risk, but one they are willing to make.

"It's a concern in the back of my mind because I saw what happened with Bella Place, but Red Brick has done a lot to reassure us," said Elle Hertz, a junior who signed a lease for the 2009-10 school year.