Students in and out of the Greek community respond to Panhellenic president’s call for reflection

By Emily Wild, For The Miami Student

On Tuesday, Jan. 26, Panhellenic president Elizabeth Nelsen sent an email to all Miami University Greek chapter presidents emphasizing the severity of recent incidents linked to the start of Greek recruitment. She cited 23 transportations to the hospital and two students with BAC levels of .3. At the end of her email, Nelsen urged everyone to "stop to think why we are Greek."

After taking some time to consider this very statement, Nelsen said one of the main reasons she is Greek is because of the desire she held as a first-year to deepen her connection to Miami. She valued the friendships she made during the first semester of her freshman year, and was partially influenced by her friends' collective decision to rush.

"Upon receiving my bid, I knew I was now a member of something greater than myself, and that is how I have always approached my involvement in Greek life," wrote Nelsen in an email interview.

First-year Camille Bode, who is currently going through recruitment, recently struggled with discerning her own reasons for wanting to join Greek life. During high school and her first semester at Miami, Bode always envisioned herself joining a sorority, but could never pinpoint a concrete motive.

When she was finally faced with the reality of registering and paying rush fees, she forced herself to take a step back and ask herself honestly, "Why am I going Greek?" She considered the additional time commitment and financial obligation it presented - things she wasn't sure she was ready to take on.

After taking into account the many interactions she has witnessed between girls who are in sororities, Bode realized they all exemplified the type of strong friendships she wants to have.

"I feel like once I get my bid, and look around and see all my 'sisters,' then I'll know that is why I did it," Bode said.

Junior sorority member Katie Kehres can relate to the desire for sisterhood. After attending an all girls high school and looking for similar friendships in college, Kehres decided that rushing was in her best interest. Two years later, she says her friendships are what she appreciates most about being Greek.

"I think some of the most memorable moments haven't been nights spent out, but more nights spent in, like listening to music or just having fun with people who take a genuine interest in me and I take a genuine interest in them," Kehres said.

One senior fraternity member's decision to go Greek during his sophomore year was influenced by the palpable sense of social pressure to do so.

But, after completing the initiation process, he can agree that his fraternity holds sentimental value to him.

"I can't really explain it, it's just a brotherhood."

For two sophomores, becoming part of a Greek organization was never really a choice, but, rather, something that was instilled in them from a young age.

One always envisioned herself joining the same sisterhood as her mother, who has been telling stories of her unforgettable Greek experiences for years.

She said she feels Miami's second semester recruitment impacts students' inclinations to rush.

"Girls see what their friends are doing with Greek life at other universities who have first semester rush and they want to be part of that as well."

The other sophomore's decision to rush was also motivated by the hope of maintaining a legacy, following in the footsteps of his grandfather and father, who was also in a fraternity at Miami.

However, Greek life is not for everyone. Besides the time commitment and financial obligation it presents, students have various reasons for not joining Greek organizations.

"I really feel like I made all the friends I need during my first semester," said first-year Alexandra Prentice, who believes she does not need the social aspect Greek life encourages.

"For me, I just didn't see the appeal I guess … I thought it would be better to kind of step back and take a nice quiet roommate, rather than having 30 girls constantly popping in and out and going out and everything," first-year Julie Matz said.

First-year Olivia Clark also admits that the concept of joining a sorority felt out of her comfort zone, especially considering where she grew up.

"Here it's kind of kind of intimidating I guess … coming from such a small town," said Clark. "It wasn't designer clothes and it wasn't a lot of business students or anything like that … It wasn't something that I thought was for me."

In light of what Nelsen referred to as "an extremely severe situation" in terms of harm to students during rush events, the Panhellenic president is calling the Greek community at large to contemplate their overall intentions.

"My email conveys my passion for the Greek community, my belief in that it can be a transforming experience for college students, and Panhellenic's leadership stance in keeping members of our community safe," Nelsen wrote.