Students for Peace and Justice go to Nicaragua

Shannon Ford, For The Miami Student

The organization Students for Peace and Justice (SPJ) traveled to Nicaragua with eight students over spring break to educate themselves on the social, political and economic issues the country faces.

Each year, a group of students travels with an organization called Witness for Peace to a Latin American country to examine its living conditions and relationship with the United States.

This year SPJ chose to go to Nicaragua because "it was a political hot zone and would be a good place to gain information," SPJ president Meghan Beddow said.

The trip cost about $1,500 per person, but with grants from Miami University departments the organization received along with local fund-raisers, the cost was reduced to almost nothing.

In the eight days the group was in Nicaragua, they spoke with community leaders, local people in the communities that they traveled to and the U.S. embassy.

"The experience allowed us to be immersed in the culture, far beyond what you can read in a book," junior Lorraine Boissoneault, an SPJ member said. "I learned that all of the economic activities that we do in the U.S. are linked to the rest of the world."

With the information they gained, the group's goal is to spread awareness on issues such as immigration, standard of living and trade.

"The biggest thing that we can contribute is making people aware of issues in Nicaragua and other poor countries in Latin America," SPJ member Michaela Malone said.

During their time in Nicaragua the students stayed in hostels and with host families.

"With the host families all of the barriers were cut down and there was complete honesty," Beddow said. "It was important to the people that we cared enough to listen and are looking to create a positive change."

Members of the organization were amazed to learn that many of the community leaders are in their positions because they have taken it upon themselves to make change in their community, whether it is to educate, raise the standard of living or increase health care.

"These people receive nothing for their work, they are already way below poverty level and they still step up and give everything they have," Beddow said.

Although the trip to Nicaragua was successful in educating SPJ members on many of the issues going on in the country, its impact extended far beyond education.

"I feel like I have become a different person, after just a week," Malone said. "You don't have to give up what you have just because other people don't have it, but, it is important to stay aware and give back when you can, take nothing for granted."

For Beddow, who plans to attend medical school after graduation, trips like the one to Nicaragua have led her to a goal of international health care, especially in immigrant communities.

"It is a problem that once you see it, you can't turn your back on it," Beddow said. "This solidifies that this is what I want to dedicate my life to."

The organization plans to spread awareness through a series of presentations, events and bulletin boards that will share what they have learned and tell what others can do to make change.

The first of these presentations will take place from 5-7 p.m. March 30 in the MacMillian Hall great room through the Passionate for Latin America series, followed by a program called Food for Thought April 8, location and time to be determined. The organization will also be writing letters to congressmen, creating photo and description bulletin boards in MacMillan Hall and talking to the markets on campus to encourage them to sell more free trade items.