Starbucks Coffee coming to campus

By Abigail Kelly, Senior Staff Writer

Next semester, Miamians won't need to make the pilgrimage Uptown to get their Starbucks Coffee fix. A fully licensed Starbucks will open at Maplestreet Station in January 2016.

This will be the first-ever chain located on campus.

In the past, Miami has created replicas of popular restaurants in lieu of having the chain itself on campus - Armstrong's Serrano mirrors Chipotle and its Boulangerie closely resembles Panera Bread.

Replacing Patisserie with Starbucks will give students more choices, said Jon Brubacher, director of procurement and food purchasing for Miami Dining.

"Having a licensed Starbucks store on campus will allow us to offer products such as breakfast sandwiches and other Starbucks-branded items that we were unable to offer in the past," Brubacher said.

The store is expected to open in January and will offer the full Starbucks menu. Miami campus employees must also go through Starbucks professional training to work at the location.

Associate Vice President of Auxiliaries Kim Kinsel said adding a chain restaurant is one step in the gradual changes coming to Miami Dining and comes as a response to a campus-wide survey.

"Miami University began to expand their offerings for a la carte items and retail dining options a few years ago," she said. "Considering a national brand was a logical next step and the survey confirmed the large interest."

Last spring, a dining survey asked 2,000 students about the possibility of brining a national brand to campus. Starbucks was the students' top choice.

Brubacher said Starbucks is a strong chain restaurant to bring to campus because it fulfills the goals of Miami's Dining Services.

"Miami historically has been very selective with the brands and varieties of products we offer on campus," Brubacher said. "Starbucks is a globally recognized company, with proven standards in quality and value, which closely mirror our standards, and has also been the one chain that has been requested far more than all other chains in student surveys."

Sophomore Brie Moore said she is excited that Miami will have a chain brand on campus.

"Brewing Starbucks coffee in one of the a la carte dining options does not equal a Starbucks drink," Moore said. "I think it is the best of both worlds for both Miami to attract incoming students with the luxury of an on-campus Starbucks, and Starbucks being closer to their core consumers around the Oxford area."

Kinsel said she has heard many reactions like Moore's on campus as word quickly spreads. As the change draws more positive responses, Kinsel predicts this is only the beginning of bringing chain restaurants to campus.

"With the intent of enhancing the student experience on campus, we believe the students will enjoy the new Starbucks," Kinsel said. "We are excited to offer this new service."