SPT recommends athletic programs cut budgets

NoÃlle Bernard, Senior Staff Writer

Miami University Intercollegiate Athletics (ICA) could soon experience significant budget cuts based on the decision reached by President David Hodge and the Strategic Priorities Task Force (SPT) Dec. 10.

According to the SPT recommendation, ICA was asked to decrease its dependence on university support by 3 percent over the next five years. According to Jason Lener, deputy director of athletics, this will amount to $2.7 million.

"On the one hand, collegiate sports have become a core part of campus life," the report said. "An appearance in the Frozen Four, a bowl game or the NCAA basketball tournament becomes the topic of discussion for both current students and alumni across the nation. On the other hand, attendance by students at university sporting events has been inconsistent, raising the question about what the NCAA Division 1A athletic program at Miami has on current and future students and alumni."

According to Lener, the department is preparing for Hodge's final decision to accept or alter the submitted recommendation.

"We have several options on how to generate additional revenue to make it work," Lener said. "We don't want to go down the same road as in the past."

The department is looking for ways to increase generated money from annual giving, donations and ticket sales. It is focusing on how to rearrange the potential budget cut so it does not threaten job positions or the success of sports teams.

There appears to be hope in the daunting financial crisis in the football team's win in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship, Lener said.

"It's really good timing for us," he said. "We couldn't ask for something better. (Football) will play a huge role because it's the largest sports venue with the most players and people impacted."

Senior defensive lineman Jordain Brown understands the university's need to make cuts but thinks the pressure of the decreased budget may have a detrimental effect on all sports teams at Miami.

"If they really go through with it there's nothing we can really do about it," Brown said. "It will put a lot more pressure on other different sports to do well."

Brown said there is a possibility of other coaches coming in when Miami athletics do well.

"There's a lot of different ways this could have an effect on not just football but other sports as well," he said.

Senior Matt Penta said cutting sports programs' budgets should be the last thing Miami considers doing.

"Sporting programs are a great way to earn revenue for the school and every student wants to be a fan of their school," Penta said. "If they're cutting all the programs we're not going to have students around here that actually care about the sports. If you keep cutting all these programs, we're just going to have no fans. "

Hodge's final decision will be made Dec. 10, and the department will be waiting on its financial fate.

"We'll find out more (Dec.10)," Lener said. "It'll either be that or lower. It can't be any higher and we'll work accordingly."