SPT plans graduate cutbacks

Stephen Bell, Campus Editor

Miami University's Strategic Priorities Task Force (SPT) held its much-anticipated student forum Sept. 22, where they reviewed suggested cuts to the university's graduate program.

Looking to cut graduate assistantships in non-academic areas, the SPT targeted graduate students working in non-academic buildings like King Library.

The SPT suggested Miami fill the library and other such positions with regular hires, rather than grad students operating away from their home departments.

Furthermore, the committee is looking to decrease the number of academic departments and subsequent majors in an attempt to prevent an estimated $40 million debt Miami could face by 2015.

For some graduate students, the thought of scaling down departments is terrifying.

Robert Tolley, a graduate student in the physics department, questioned what Miami would do with graduate students whose majors are cut.

"What are we doing to people who already chose those majors?" Tolley said. "What are they going to do with people who have put their work into a degree Miami already offers? Sorry you missed out?"

In addition to proposed cuts, the SPT said it would like to shift focus toward external research.

The committee suggested Miami identify and support graduate programs that generate external research funds, thus taking financial burden off the university.

Committee member and Interim Provost John Skillings said graduate students will still be able to complete their programs as planned regardless of cuts.

"We made commitments to students who are here," Skillings said. "We owe it to them to complete a program in a way they started that program."

Skillings clarified his commitment to honor cut graduate programs would only remain valid should students complete those programs in a "reasonable" amount of time.

While Skillings' promise may comfort some, concerns still exist about the value of cut degrees.

Tolley said he is concerned for graduate students with respect to future employment.

"It's kind of two-fold, when you graduate, your degree will not exist anymore," Tolley said.

He said once a student graduates after completing a cut program, employers may not hold their degree in high regard.

Despite concerns, the SPT stressed proposed cuts are simply recommendations.

President David Hodge will take all recommendations into consideration before making a final decision.