Spike in Mental Health

By Mackenzie Clune, For The Miami Student

Increase in local demand for mental health services at Beckett Springs Hospital has been constant since its opening in 2013. This continuous demand prompted the Butler County Mental Health Board to request a tax levy renewal in order to accommodate the demand.

According to Scott Rasmus, the Mental Health Board Executive Director, the construction is underway and is projected to be complete within the next year.

Beckett Springs, located in West Chester, is a part of a for-profit hospital network owned by Springstone Inc. Their mission is to provide an effective treatment experience to those pursuing mental wellness and sobriety.

Construction to expand the Beckett Springs Wellness Center began in October and will cost roughly $4 million. The hospital plans on a 24-bed expansion due to the consistent increase in demand.

Last year was the first full year of operations after opening in 2013. On any given day the hospital can run at over 90 percent capacity.

A recent study conducted by Envision, a service provider for local individuals seeking treatment, indicated that the incidents of mental illness are higher in Butler County in comparison to the region as a whole.

Since the decision to reconstruct the hospital, demand for mental health care services have not subsided. According to Rasmus, the reason behind this spike is the result of multiple contributing factors.

"Over the past few years, most all areas in Ohio have been impacted by the heroin epidemic - regardless of the magnitude," Rasmus said.

In order to resolve the current influx of mental illness within the community, Butler County is working on several new outlets to give affected locals the necessaties to rehabilitate.

New programs are being implemented along with the enhancement of crisis response and prevention, and the new countywide hotline.

The Mental Health Board is dedicating a great deal of time to participation in health expositions and speeches in areas outside of Butler County as well. One of their main focuses is emphasizing those who have recovered from their illnesses and will speak out against the stigmas.

"We are trying to be as aproactive as possible," Rasmus said. "I would be happy to work together with organizations at Miami University, as we share a common goal."

Rasmus encourages students to become involved in Miami University's National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) organization to advocate for the millions of people affected by mental illness.