Sophomore falls from third-story window, remains in serious condition

Alex Proctor points to the spot he found sophomore Caroline O’Donnell after she fell out of the third-story window above

James Steinbauer, Senior Staff Writer

Alex Proctor points to the spot he found sophomore Caroline O’Donnell after she fell out of the third-story window above (Photo by Katie Taylor)

Today at 4:39 a.m., the Oxford Police Department (OPD) received word that 20-year-old Miami University sophomore Caroline O'Donnell fell from a third-story window at 22 East Walnut St.

Neighbor senior Alex Proctor said he observed O'Donnell sitting in the third-story window on his way up to his own apartment. He then witnessed her fall onto the concrete driveway below where the first officer on the scene found her lying conscious and breathing.

"She had a bump on her head, some swelling and an abrasion on her elbow," OPD Sgt. Jon Varley said.

Proctor said he did not hear loud music or see anything suggesting a party was taking place, but Varley confirmed O'Donnell had been drinking.

"It appears that alcohol was involved," Varley said. "But the actual fall was an accident."

After being taken to McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital, O'Donnell was airlifted to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton.

Manager of Media Relations for Miami Valley Hospital Nancy Thickel said O'Donnell is currently in serious condition.

Additional reporting by Community Editor Chris Curme.